Photo

Donation prompt while playing...

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Comet

Posted 14 March 2007 - 12:43 AM

I would prefer we do not make mention of donations while actually playing in game. Although our community (some any way) understands donations ultimately make Moon spin round those new to our servers do not. We have typically brought new blood into our servers by way of communication both in game and TS. I would much prefer to continue this approach. Once they get a feel for who we are, what we offer, and a better understanding of community involvement, they may in fact contribute in some way. The donation banner might be a reminder to our own but it can rub potential new members the wrong way...I have seen a few comments already.

...my .02 CDN

thoughts...

#2 pest control

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:15 AM

most of people will percieve the joining the community with mandatory fee payment. it seams very agresive and that might scare away someone that is looking for community such as ours that can be a reg. I agree with Comet.
tonight we had over a dozen players that I couldnt recognize, which is kewl, server is atracting new people

...but, it hurt when I saw the February donators and only Comets name on DOD list.

#3 WTBass

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:13 AM

Sounds like a plan Dan....I think we should promote the website/forums still...

Pest Control...did the same thing to me...so I made some of the hurt go away! :)

#4 Langley

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:38 AM

I think we should promote the website/forums still...

I agree. Promote the website & forum in game and let the site & forum promote donations. People are more inclined to donate when they feel they belong and forum participation does a good job of that.

#5 Limpnoodle

Posted 14 March 2007 - 06:39 AM

I don't have this game (yet) but is it the same message that is in CS:S?

It's 7:36am EST, Have you donated to Moongamers?

Or something like that...

#6 Why Two Kay

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:06 AM

I don't have this game (yet) but is it the same message that is in CS:S?

It's 7:36am EST, Have you donated to Moongamers?

Or something like that...

Yes, that's it. It's always been around in CS:S. I can't even remember when we started that, nearly a year ago?

#7 Doc_UK

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:31 AM

I've just got DOD/CS and have not seen these messages until now. I think it might be wise to change the mesage to these two phrases...

"This server only survives with player donations"
"If you enjoy playing here please donate"

The current message make it seem like you have to donate to play here. Thats the vibe I got the 1st time I saw it.

#8 Limpnoodle

Posted 14 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

I took it as a joke...

Wasn't there some ad campaign a few years ago with something like "It's 10pm, do you know where your kids are?". There has been a ton of stuff like that over the years and I grouped it with that.

#9 Paddleball

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:12 AM

I agree with taking that message down, especially with what Doc said, it just seems forced upon.

#10 Comet

Posted 14 March 2007 - 11:19 AM

Yes, that's it. It's always been around in CS:S.

I was unaware of that seeing as I do not play the game.

I have always felt asking for money is something that should be done discretely. Asking a player if they have in fact donated can make a player feel uncomfortable. Perhaps they would prefer to settle in before opening the wallet.

If a comment must be presented then I would prefer to see what my resident overseas Doctor Doc_ UK has suggested, that being a different line.

"donations pave the way for you to play"...a suggestive yet discrete mention.

#11 Limpnoodle

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:27 PM

Seeing as that I am an idea man, and know all over the internets for being subtle let's try one of these:

GIMMIE YO MONEY!

Put out or get out.

Show me the money!

Hand over your wallet and nobody get's a virus....

Maybe post some posters up around the map"

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just some ideas... your welcome in advance...

#12 Santano

Posted 14 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Put the Caption on the Uncle Sam one to say "Uncle Limpy Says Give me Yo money and no ones get hurt, Biatches" and you got a winner :whippingsmiley:

#13 Why Two Kay

Posted 14 March 2007 - 05:07 PM

I took it as a joke...

Wasn't there some ad campaign a few years ago with something like "It's 10pm, do you know where your kids are?". There has been a ton of stuff like that over the years and I grouped it with that.

I though it was something like that too. The first time I saw it I laughed a bit.

I'll adjust it to:

It's currently {THETIME}.
This server is supported by donations by players like you.

#14 Limpnoodle

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:33 AM

It's currently {THETIME}.
This server is supported by donations FROM players like you.

And you call yourself a grammar nazi....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com