Photo

Online Gaming Prob

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
24 replies to this topic

#1 TheDutchman

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:32 PM

So...i got my new computer 2 weeks before i came to college. I never hooked it up to the internet, but the single person gaming was awesome. So i move into my college apt and hook it up to the internet, but i can't game online. The everything else is working fine on the internet, but after a minute or 2 trying to play online, my computer restarts. Any ideas?

#2 Limpnoodle

Posted 18 August 2005 - 01:30 PM

Not sure why it would turn off but have you checked your firewall settings???

Let me know what it is set on.

-Limp

#3 TheDutchman

Posted 18 August 2005 - 02:00 PM

i put hl2 onto my comp, and it allows me to play with out restarting, making me more confused

i'm not really clear what you mean by settings.
I have bf2 set for an exception to the firewall

#4 Soldaten

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:16 PM

It would really help if you posted your computer specs, specifically what chip your using, RAM, & video card.

Does this crash only happen with BF2 ? You say you can play HL2 ok right ?

Since its a New computer - Do you have the latest drivers for your video card & the latest patches for BF2 ?

If you have the latest drivers & such then perhaps try turning down some of the graphics effects to see if one effect is causing the problem.

-S

#5 adinar

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

When you mentioned that it worked fine in single-player mode, were you referring to BF2? I'm thinking on the REALLY off chance that perhaps his system doesn't meet the requirements for BF2 and this is why it doesn't work. Like Soldaten said, it would be helpful if you posted your system specs.

#6 TheDutchman

Posted 18 August 2005 - 10:58 PM

Intel P4 3.2G
Nvidia 6600 256Mb
a gig of ram

i have the latest updates for the graphics card

this problem doesn't happen with CS:S, it happen to BF2 and Bf42 but only playing online. It works perfect in single player mode

#7 Noobie1 Canoli

Posted 19 August 2005 - 01:02 AM

At first glance I was going to suggest that it might have something to do with your network card or drivers, but then you added a few details. Have you tried looking up EA's support/forums?

#8 Soldaten

Posted 19 August 2005 - 10:57 AM

So this only happens when your playing bf1942 or bf2 online and not in single player mode.

Are you using your schools bandwidth or do you have your own ISP ? In other words who provides your internet connection. You should also check out your network card to make sure its configured & operating properly.

Also realize that CS and battlefield are different games in that one is opengl and the other is directX. It could just be that your directX drivers are corrupted. Perhaps try reinstalling them.

-S

#9 TheDutchman

Posted 20 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

its off my schools bandwidth

#10 TheDutchman

Posted 23 August 2005 - 11:35 PM

after talking to many people about my prob, many of those people keep talking about my computer overheating. I have 3 case fans, one blowing in, 2 out. They all work(the input one doesn't seem that powerful if that means anything) what are all of your thoughts on this subject????

#11 @n@rchist

Posted 24 August 2005 - 08:47 AM

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/

Get temps for us.

#12 GrimReaper

Posted 24 August 2005 - 02:22 PM

ok, i'll ask you some of the same questions I asked of ethan.

1) What are your system specs? ---> Answered
2) Are you running Win XP Home with SP2? or Sp1? or None
3) Do you have the Windows firewall turned on? Do you have any other firewalls?
4) What anti-virus do you use, if any?
5) When is the last time you updated sound or video drivers? Do you know the driver version numbers?

This is what I would ask you to do. Go to Start then Control Panel, If it says "Pick A Catagory" Select "Performance and Maintance". Then click on "System Propertiers" If not then just click on "System Properties". Click on the "Advanced" Tab on the top. Click on "Settings" under "Start and Recovery". Look for "Automatic Restart" under system failure and remove the check. Click "OK" on all the windows. Now go play bf2, now instead of restarting you should get a BSOD (or Blue Screen of Death). Now it should give you an error number or code (sometimes looks like 0x0e000001). If you get that, then post it here and I will look it up.

#13 Soldaten

Posted 24 August 2005 - 04:45 PM

If BF2 crashes right away in multiplayer then it is probably not an overheating issue. Usually overheating takes a few minutes or longer. Worst case I have ever seen was 10 minutes. Just make sure the fan that mounts onto the chip is working correctly if your really concerned. Also realize that Intel chips typically can take more heat stress than their specs indicate.

You said you updated your video card drivers, did this include updating directX as well? BF2 uses directX and HL2 uses OpenGL so don't be surprised that you can play one and not the other. Perhaps try updating directX as I suggested before.

The reason I asked about the school bandwidth is your school's firewall could be blocking you. Are other people in your dorm having this problem too ? If your running a personal firewall then turn it off just to see if the game runs. You can turn it back on after that.

If you want to answer Grims questions about driver versions and such, then simply type dxdiag from the START-->RUN taskbar. Click the display tab and everything will be listed.

hope this helps a bit

-S

#14 TheDutchman

Posted 24 August 2005 - 11:07 PM

ok...
i'm running XP with Service Pack 2
I have a firewall, i've turned it off, tried, no difference still restarts
i have McAfee, but was installed after problem was found
i have directx 9c
no one else in the dorm has my prob
i turned off automatic restart, bsod didn't show, it either restarted or went to a black screen and just stopped
the md5 thing never worked right

#15 Soldaten

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:28 PM

Ok I am assuming this is your personal PC and that you are running WinXP. WindowsXP keeps a log of events that you can view by opening the Event Viewer.

Go to your Control Panel, click Administrative Tools, then click Event Viewer. If you get that far then you will have an Event Viewer window. The Event Viewer window has 3 choices: Application, Security, & System.

I would click on Application and see what messages display in the right window pane. You can click on these messages and one of them should be related to your system crashes. I would also click Security and System to see what is displayed there.

Let us know about any messages that are displayed as errors.

This way we can stop guessing... Btw, did you reinstall the directX drivers?

-s

#16 Chris_Redfield

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:35 PM

Some people like to tweak Windows settings screwing the playability up. I know a duder who messed his virtual memory usage up somehow (dont ask) and ended up with the exact same problem (gets to play a minute or two, then the PC restarts), I had the same problem after I installed ATICATA 5.7 (got to play a minute or two, then the PC restarted). Its so damn hard to get to the bottom of the error... And somehow these small issues affect MP playing only. For example we could play perfectly well on LAN and SP, but when we tried hooking up to the net, the PCs restarted...

#17 @n@rchist

Posted 25 August 2005 - 06:53 PM

Dutchy look in the system clock toolbar. It should have the temps listed there if running.

#18 TheDutchman

Posted 25 August 2005 - 07:13 PM

yeah i reinstalled the directx drivers
the only errors where under the system, there were 2 (7036 & 7035)
where is the system clock located at?

#19 @n@rchist

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:29 AM

bottom right hand corner..says what time it is.

#20 TheDutchman

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:53 AM

yep, i knew that part....i was wondering where the temp meter is, its not there and i figuered i was in the wrong place

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com