Photo

What does it cost to run this place?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Wasabi®

Posted 20 September 2021 - 09:47 PM

Many of you, especially those who have donated, may be wondering why it costs so much to run a game server for a 20 year old game. In the interest of transparency, here are the numbers.

As of Sept 2021, it costs $385 a month to run MoonGamers. This includes the BF server and the moongamers.com website.

If that seems excessive to you, I implore you to think back to the events of August-September 2020. All major BF1942 servers were under constant DDoS attack, and we were particularly hard hit due to old server hardware. As a result, we had to do a significant upgrade of our infrastructure with new servers with high levels of reliability and security. This kind of hardware is not cheap!

Everyone's support is much appreciated and I hope this provides some clarity.

Wasabi
  • Lin, posi, dodgem and 4 others like this

#2 Lin

Posted 21 September 2021 - 05:44 PM

The costs above are monthly only, and do not factor in annual costs for domain registration, TS (yes, we still run TeamSpeak), Discord upgrades, and various software upgrades that may be required periodically (including expensive forum upgrades).

Re-establishing a reserve provides room for the annual costs, and it can account for good and bad donation months, allowing us a better overall financial performance throughout the year.

• Some Girl Named Cher and Highway Man like this

#3 Spare Parts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 01:35 PM

My comment here is not needed.  I waited to see if this would stay unlocked before i added anything to this.  Wasabi and Lin have told you dollars and cents on what it takes to run this place.  it takes so much more its mind boggling.  It costs 95% of your free time and 100% of your soul. Did someone in your family die, too bad, its time to change maps to the expansions.  Did you have a really shitty day at work, too bad, there are people tk'ing in a game you don't even play anymore.  Time to feed your pets, too bad, the pop hates this map rotation.  And on and on, you get the idea, and if you don't then perhaps you should look inward at what you are costing this server to run as well as it does.  To have all those annoyances and be worried about paying for the server is unfair to Lin and Wasabi.  This is an every month issue, if you can't donate every month, then every other or whatever you are able to do.  We play here and act like we own the place, we do not.  Let us try to make it easier on the ones who do own the joint.  Not just this month....

• Some Girl Named Cher, Captain John H. Miller, Major Sleep and 1 other like this

#4 kaiserj

Posted 26 September 2021 - 03:29 PM

What about dropping either the CTF or DC server? Or once you drop it you can't get it back? It just seems like those two servers are empty most of the time. Or at least when I look.

• Major Sleep, MehulJ and Mr. Argathin like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com