Photo

BF1942 Flying Help/Tips

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MonkeySpank

Posted 07 November 2018 - 09:57 PM

Hi everyone,

I thought I would just throw this out there and see if anyone is interested...

Anyone want some in some in game "flying lessons"? Would be happy to help out if there is any interest.

Please have TS if you are and feel free to let me know by post or direct message.

• Rubulator, LegofLamb and Highway Man like this

#2 posi

Posted 12 November 2018 - 04:45 PM

Sir,  Players have offered to dogfight with me for practice before and I look back and wish I had the time then to say yes.   

Your offer is appreciated.  Have you thought about Video?  

Sure.. there are a few hurdles to overcome.   What are a few hurdles to someone who has taken time to hone a skill and wants to share it?

#3 Zap Rowsdower

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:54 PM

i have more of a question than anything,as i rarely fly.

i know headshots kill people quickly.

the rear of the tank or tracks is a good spot to hit a tank with another tank.

but when it comes to shooting at plane with a plane,i rarely kill one. if i do,it takes FOREVER. (im usually coming up from behind)

but,when decent pilots shoot me? its over in 2 seconds. is there a spot i should aim for on planes?

#4 Capn Cackler

Posted 12 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

but when it comes to shooting at plane with a plane,i rarely kill one. if i do,it takes FOREVER. (im usually coming up from behind)

but,when decent pilots shoot me? its over in 2 seconds. is there a spot i should aim for on planes?

Yeah, I think it is a ping issue. I have the same problem but if I lead my target more than normal I usually get hit-markers.

If I am correct planes don't have armor weaknesses like tanks do (Don't quote me on that). 

Even though there are VISIBLE CHIPS flying off of the wings, and about 600 rounds buried in the plane, you will NOT do damage unless there are hit-markers.

• Zap Rowsdower and Highway Man like this

#5 posi

Posted 12 November 2018 - 11:45 PM

Yeah, I think it is a ping issue. I have the same problem but if I lead my target more than normal I usually get hit-markers.

If I am correct planes don't have armor weaknesses like tanks do (Don't quote me on that). 

Even though there are VISIBLE CHIPS flying off of the wings, and about 600 rounds buried in the plane, you will NOT do damage unless there are hit-markers.

You are incorrect sir.  My apologies for "quoting" you both.  Damage to the tail is greater than that to the wings.  This was attained via game testing years ago and is detailed in the giant grid of death with specifics to each aircraft.

Social media users will find game information and resource links compiled in the "resources note" on the facebook page. 

https://www.facebook...67305926707385/

• Zap Rowsdower and Highway Man like this

#6 Spare Parts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:42 PM

is this the same place we learn pilot arrogance? 

• Highway Man likes this

#7 Spare Parts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 12:58 PM

you should aim for the planes when they are on the ground, you should shoot pilots on sight.  Don't let them get into the air.  Once they do, its kill AA, kill sitting aircraft, bomb spawn points.  the only chance you have is to try to fly as well, since pilots don't like to fight each other. 

• Zap Rowsdower likes this

#8 posi

Posted 13 November 2018 - 03:24 PM

:smilie_fluester:  Turn that frown upside down.  :(  :arrow1:   :D   

We don't want to kick anyone, we want players.  That is the essence of what you see in comments.  Frustration in oversight.  Thank You to players who are :spinstar: wholeheartedly :spinstar:  working with us.  

A few wish to 'bend' the Admin team.  :smiley_369:   Some of our team are ancient  :wheelchair: , they are not up for being bent.  

Please remember, this is a rule which the majority of the players want in place.     :grphug:     

#9 Highway Man

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:12 PM

Some of our team are ancient  :wheelchair: , they are not up for being bent.  

HEY! Don't single  Rubulator out like that! Its just rude!  :rofl:

#10 Capn Cackler

Posted 13 November 2018 - 06:25 PM

Thanks for the info Posi!

#11 Zap Rowsdower

Posted 13 November 2018 - 07:18 PM

i do much rather prefer to shoot them on the ground or with aa. then i have half a chance. i think i can count the planes i've killed with a plane on one hand. and one of those was a fluke when i dropped a bomb when he passed below me.

i'll try aiming higher towards the tail than the fuselage. or keep my butt on the ground where i belong.

• Highway Man likes this

#12 MonkeySpank

Posted 13 November 2018 - 11:27 PM

A video is probably a good suggestion Posi, thanks I’ll look into it. I’ve tried playing around with Fraps before but it seems like the video size is so big.

Just a few general tips/suggestions…

1. Where to shoot an enemy plane in a fight – Try leading the shot on the nose when they are in a turn or a climb and you are behind them doing the same. That’s going to be your easiest hit.
  2. Does ping make a difference? Yes. Is it the deciding factor? Absolutely not. I would say if you want to see the impact of ping try making a single player match and shoot some planes then try it online. You can have a terrible ping but if you are able to consistently get behind enemy planes, you’ll be fine.
  3. Constantly change your views in a fight to figure out where the enemy is and what you need to do to get behind them. Don’t waste your time or sacrifice your maneuverability trying to get a shot when the plane is flying toward you.
  4. Change your views often when not in a fight to increase your situational awareness. Someone can sneak up on you at any moment. Know who the threats are on the other team, who is flying on both sides and whether you are going to need support if you get in a fight.
  5. Fly defensive, avoid flying over enemy main and land/heal often as an engineer. Every bar counts. Assume everyone can kill you, from plane to infantry, enemy to friendly.
  6. Dive bomb tanks – don’t go for straight and level bombing when possible because you’re more likely to miss. It’s much easier to dip down, aim for the ground slightly ahead of the tank then drop when a few feet above. I highly recommend pulling up at that point.
  7. Don’t try to out climb a 109 or out circle a Mustang
  8. Don’t forget to use your rudder!

Also, I can’t recommend enough a joystick over a mouse. You can get a decent Logitech one at Best Buy for an inexpensive amount. As long as it has rudder twist, you are good. If you have one and don’t like it, try it again. I know some people swear by the mouse but it’s actually a vast conspiracy to keep you from using a joystick.

If I can figure out a video, I’ll post one at some point but I looked around on YouTube and found the video below that I think is pretty good in showing what a good pilot is going to do with their views during a fight.

Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube....h?v=q60Noupz2SM

• posi, Dasboot and Capn Cackler like this

#13 Capn Cackler

Posted 15 November 2018 - 06:15 PM

I can't figure out how to fly with a mouse. I have a joystick but generally prefer using wasd, arrow keys and shift/space instead

#14 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 16 November 2018 - 04:54 AM

I can't figure out how to fly with a mouse. I have a joystick but generally prefer using wasd, arrow keys and shift/space instead

There are some good pilots that only use the keyboard.

• LegofLamb likes this

#15 Colonel Tavington

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:11 PM

Your humble narrator uses the mouse, but I also use a and d for the rudder, and the arrow keys at full sensitivity for emergency dive, climb, etc.  Single player Battle of Britain might help in you getting comfy with the mouse.

#16 Highway Man

Posted 16 November 2018 - 12:12 PM

I am a good pilot! Except when it comes to maneuvering around places of worship.......

#17 Capn Cackler

Posted 19 November 2018 - 03:13 PM

I am a good pilot! Except when it comes to maneuvering around places of worship.......

I can testify to that!

• Highway Man likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com