Photo

My Connection Problems, Pics of Tracerts

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
26 replies to this topic

#1 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 11 March 2005 - 08:01 PM

Below, I am posting 3 images of tracerts done to our BF Classic server (server 1) using admin tools in order to show my fellow members what is going on with my connection. Let me say that I have left the size of these images large purposely so that everything on them can be clearly read.

The problem is this - I have continuous connection freezes in game with the traditional "warning connection problems detected" message displayed. Sometimes I can go for hours without a single freezes, but thats rare. Most times I get 7 freezes and 2-3 disconnects within a 30 minutes period. This happens to me at all times of the day and night. I may get disconnected around 20 times in a normal day of play. I nener get disconnected from teamspeak, RA, CS:S, Half Life, internet, web browsing, etc. while i get popped from BF. BF is the only game or thing that is effected. AND please know that these problems happen ON ALL servers I have played on - has nothing to do with Moon in and of itself.

I have Cox Cable 5mb/s down and 3mb/s up. I have no router, just a Motorola SB5120 cable modem and only one computer connected to it. I tried 3 seperate computers thats friends lent me on my connection this same pattern happens on 3 computers. All spyware (using 4 seperate programs), defrags, tweaking, modem flushes, etc. has been done to acheive an optimally stable connection. The modem has been replaced three times to be sure it wasnt the problem. I never run or let run anything in the back ground while playing except TeamSpeak and BFSM RA. I have tested the connection without these things running and the result is the same. So in my opinion, it is neither my hardware nor my software causing this problem.

These connection problems have been going on for over a year and a half but have gotten a lot worse recently. Cox has come out over 20 times in the last year. They can find no problem anywhere at all. The only thing a higher up said is that he can see "noise" happening on the lines in my area, but it isnt a big problem. I dont know what that means. It should be noted that this same higher up gentleman said that over a weekend he would run a continuous ping from his office to my modem and check it on Monday for any problems. THAT WAS THE ONLY WEEKEND WHERE I DIDNT HAVE A SINGLE CONNECTION PROBLEM IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. Have no idea what he did or why my connection was stable. Was able to play that weekend with the most stable connection I have ever had. Come the Monday evening after that weekend, the connection returned to garbage again and has been garbage ever since. I have given up on contacting Cox anymore.

Jim/Akooma and whoever else may be able to help here are the pictures of my connection using one of our admin tools and traceing the route from me to out Classic/Main Omaha server.

I just want to add that I do not run this tracert tool often at all since I already know what it will look like when I have a BF connction problem. I ran it recently for about 20 minutes while playing so I can get these screencaptures for y'all.

Pic 1 is the best it gets and the most stable it gets

Posted Image

Pic 2 happens very often and results in multiple warning conn freezes and disconnects

Posted Image

Pic 3 results in immediate disconnects

Posted Image

So yes guys and gals, when I sometimes say I was killed cause of a connection freeze, I am telling the truth. ;)

I'd like to play in the Grudge Match, but I dont believe I'll be able to stay connected much. Or ill have constant freezes.

PS - this is also the direct reason that I have been playing as Axis a lot and hanging back where its safe. If I were allied I would ususally freeze on the beach or in a trench and get killed. Or I really loved it when I fought my way up to the toop base just to be disconnected up there or freeze in a fight. Basically I gave up and until my connection is fixed will be playing Axis hanging back in the safe zone. I will still get freezes and disconnection, but at kleast I wont be as bitter about them. ;)

#2 Spastic Colon

Posted 11 March 2005 - 09:30 PM

:huh:
Wow.
Cox is OBVIOUSLY having some issues.
I especially like # 13 in Pic 2, and how it's been skipped over.

If it makes you feel any better, I've got 20 days until I get my internet service back, after 3 months of downtime.

#3 SLow POke

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:03 PM

The problem appears to be dropped packets.

On hop 13 there's an significant increase.

Suggest two things:

First goto

http://www.dslreports.com/

And check our local provider. If your feeling that kind of pain from dropped packets someone else is also. Folks like to post info about their ISP problems their.

At first appearance it looks like congestion. But, that's an opinion with no real facts to support it.

Good luck and remember to contact your local ISP (COX) to tell them what's going on when your internet if failing you. Please, oh, please don't tell them your playing a game . It's better to say your running some business software or something like that.

Good luck!

#4 Lin

Posted 14 March 2005 - 04:42 PM

Amen, SLow POke, I found that out as well...they DO NOT CARE about gamers. They DO care about business, problems contacting/logging in for your finances, things of that nature...but not gamers.

#5 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:21 AM

Bump for continuing problems that have caused me to drop off playing rather dramatically. See Pic Below! Cox Cable still wont acknowledge a problem and says this route doesnt prove anything. :rolleyes: Any suggestions? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Posted Image

#6 SLow POke

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:36 AM

68.11.12.169 is dropping 10% of the packets.
while AT&T Dallas, TX hub is dropping 10%.
Dalls is a know problem with no resolution.

You can contact cox cable and indicate there's a 10% packet drop.
They might care...a little?

Also, if your not getting satisfactory customer service from Cox
you can file a complaint with your state utility commission.
Don't expect the commission to do anything soon. The commission files
the complain (with the others). If there's enough complaints either a
hearing is convienced or a letter to Cox cable is sent with a requests
to resolve this issues.

#7 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Slow Poke. I have complained continuosly about 68.11.12.169 and packet loss, but they want me to prove it. Neither HLSW or any Ping Plotter type thing that I know of is good enough for them. Do you have a suggestion on what I can use to show them the packet loss? ALso, once one of the main guys at Cox told me he would run a continuos ping to my modem over a weekend a while back and when he came in to the office on Monday he would be able to see if there were any problems - i.e. whether or not to believe me. :rolleyes: Guess what?? My internet connection was the best its ever been that weekend. I might be wrong, but my theory there is that they know what is causing the problem and shut it off over that weekend so that the ping that they did would come out nice so that they wouldnt have to do any work. I know its a consipiracy theory but when u have been straight out treated the way I have by Cox Cable, then you tend to think they are either lying about the problem or total idiots. Sadly there is no other competitor that I can switch to around here unless u know of any. Cause frankly, I just want to get away from Cox Cable's shitty internet service here. But I would like real high speed and stability. Currently have 5mb/s down

#8 Lin

Posted 08 April 2005 - 12:59 PM

Is there a DSL provider in your area?

#9 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 08 April 2005 - 01:49 PM

I dont know of any resource to check all providers in my area. I know there is Bellsouth but there service is worse than Cox. All friends that I know had Bellsouth DSL and dumped them for Cox.

#10 LeadPoison

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

First goto

http://www.dslreports.com/

And check our local provider. If your feeling that kind of pain from dropped packets someone else is also. Folks like to post info about their ISP problems their.

At first appearance it looks like congestion. But, that's an opinion with no real facts to support it.

Good luck and remember to contact your local ISP (COX) to tell them what's going on when your internet if failing you. Please, oh, please don't tell them your playing a game . It's better to say your running some business software or something like that.

Good luck!

Read my mind! That's exactly what I did and I got ahold of a tier 2 tech for charter in my area and he did a few things and really helped me and a few others that were complaining.

#11 SLow POke

Posted 08 April 2005 - 02:18 PM

FishFearMe, I will look into the packet loss and provide a report on your thread prior to the end of Sunday. :)

Lin and others could tell how 1st tier support isn't technical or even nice. LeadPoison has the right idea regarding better support and service.

#12 SLow POke

Posted 08 April 2005 - 03:44 PM

Please review your broadband modem logs for critical events when
there's problems. A critical event will stop your PC's internet access.

You can access your modem's log using an internet browser (internet explorer,firefox)
Enter http://192.168.100.1/logs.html

Please check your modem logs at the same time you are having internet difficulties.
If you are seeing critical events on the modem at the same time please post the information
in this thread.

There are two comcast router interfaces in your traces is 68.11.12.177 and 68.11.12.169.
There's a switch that connects your pc via cable modem to the router interfaces.
A router interface is a fantsy way of saying a network card on a router.

There are two possiblies why you are seeing different routing interfaces.

1. load balancing -- when one interface has too much load so it shares with another
2. disaster recover -- this occurs when an interface has failed.

It's possible everytime you see 68.11.12.169 on the route traces that there's a problem
with 68.11.12.177 in either load balancing or disaster recover.

#13 Assumed

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:38 PM

o that might solve my connection problems also!!!
AMEN!!

Assumed

#14 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:16 AM

SLow Poke - these are tall the things on the logs that I got this morning, bad morning, disconnected over 20 times.

050411023944 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050405141535 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050405141534 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050331122750 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050331122749 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050331121534 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050331121533 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050323065507 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050323065506 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050322100051 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050322100050 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050321152700 3-Critical D01.0 DHCP FAILED - Discover sent, no offer received
050321152651 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050321152455 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Requests Retries exhausted
050321152454 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050320085742 3-Critical R03.0 Ranging Request Retries exhausted
050320085735 3-Critical R02.0 No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
050320085544 3-Critical T04.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to receive MAC SYNC frame with
050320085544 3-Critical T01.0 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol tim
050320085544 3-Critical U02.0 UCD invalid or channel unusable

#15 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:58 AM

LeadPoison has the right idea regarding better support and service.

I have spoken to every mangaer including local available and the highest level techs on workman's cell phones. they got pissed when i called them out 15 times in a few months. I got pissed when they giot pissy with me in my home and I nearly threw the guy out of my house. Hey he started, acted like i was a complainer and making this all up, and he had an attitude. I basically told him to get his two faced ass out of my house. He called the "main" guy that handles this stuff from his cell phone and I was told there was nothing wrong. I fully believe there isnt a F;ing thing I can do to get Cox to fix shit. They just dont give a damn, pklain and simple. They make that real obvious to me.

If Life was this game I'd Shank everyone of those bitches at Cox. :angry:

#16 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:43 AM

I'm looking into a local ISP that has good reviews and provides ADSL
PPPoE 3.5M / 384K sevice for $60 per month. That is certainly more $ than what I am used to paying, but I dont know if I can take any more of this Cox crap. I play this game to relax, and the damned conn probs are causing me stress.

#17 Why Two Kay

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:30 AM

I'm looking into a local ISP that has good reviews and provides ADSL
PPPoE 3.5M / 384K sevice for $60 per month. That is certainly more $ than what I am used to paying, but I dont know if I can take any more of this Cox crap. I play this game to relax, and the damned conn probs are causing me stress.

That's not a bad deal on a 3.5 connection. At least, around here. :)

#18 Assumed

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:33 PM

yea not bad at all :) good luck with it!

Assumed

#19 fishfearme,wmnluvme

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:43 PM

The DSL was a no go, cause according to them I'm too far fro the central office to get any decent speed. So I'm stuck with Cox BS.

#20 Boondock Saint

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:08 PM

Time to pack up and move bro'...... :D

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com