Photo

How to run Dos games on 2000/XP

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

#1 LeadPoison

Posted 07 May 2004 - 08:21 AM

I have heard a few people talking about older dos games and not being able to run them on their os 2000/XP. I loved these old game, makes me remember my old days whooping folks on Kali. :lol:

Here is why these games don't work on 2000/XP and how to make them work.

Since NT and its variants do not support the use of real mode drivers, most folks are out of luck if they want to run games with sound and music. If you have a multi-gigahertz machine your games will run too fast, if at all. There is a program which almost emulates a older pc in order to run these wonderful games. Its called VDMSound!

VDMSound lets you run virtual DOS soundcard drivers within Windows, complete with sound drivers, DOS Himem support, and CPU slowdown.

To make the most of VDMSound you also need to download the VDMSound launchpad, a GUI front end for VDMSound that makes it easier to create a custom VDMSound setting for each game you wish to run.

Right-click the game executable and choose VDMSound.

Select Custom Configuration. I recommend this option over the default settings since not all DOS games work with the defaults.

You'll have the option to reuse an existing setup or create a new one from scratch. If you choose to create one from scratch, click the Advanced button on the next screen.

Set how much RAM to allocate VDMSound for the game, himem.sys options, MIDI emulation, and processor slowdown.

Start playing!
Download VMDSound and Launch pad here!

#2 anode

Posted 18 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

wow, this might actually work. I have an old game called Rise Of The Triad that i used to love to play and because i no longer have any Win 98 computers, that game has been collecting dust. I know this post is old, but i went ahead and downloaded the stuff from sourceforge. Yes, it's still there. I'll post again once i get it installed on a machine at home and see how well it works.

#3 argowen

Posted 18 January 2007 - 03:21 PM

Personally I found that DOSBOX really works best, (it does for me anyways) although you do have to manually set up a few things before dosbox allows you to do much but its well worth it.

#4 DerRaucher

Posted 18 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Personally I found that DOSBOX really works best, (it does for me anyways) although you do have to manually set up a few things before dosbox allows you to do much but its well worth it.

i use myself dosbox + dfend.

#5 Bacon

Posted 19 January 2007 - 02:17 AM

There are a few games which if you search around on the internet long enough you will find a file to allow that game to be played on XP normally. I did it for a the original Command and Conquer.

PS Does anyone else realize that there are 1337 topics in the technical forum?

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com