Photo

What is Your Favorite Map(s) and Why

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bondmaster

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:00 AM

Good day fellow Moonies

If you do not know me, I consider myself to be an old timer and just recently I have been able to get back into playing again (and I am loving it too!). During my recent resurgence, I have noticed that the player base is different. Back in my day (now I really feel old), infantry and grenades ruled the kingdom. Today, the players seems very geared towards tanks and vehicles. It is not a bad thing, in fact I am very happy to see the game continue to evolve after more than a decade of existence. 

With that being said, maps that I am very familiar with are no longer the popular maps that they once were. I came up the ranks with Omaha CQ and many of the MoonGamers elders came up with Omaha TDM. In the golden years, Omaha, Market Garden, Berlin and Stalingrad were very popular maps and can sustain population overnight. During the day it was common to see Guadalcanal, Philippines and Iwo Jima. Today, I do not see those maps played too often and so far I have seen very little CTF and TDM. I believe the reason is simply because the player base has changed and evolved and the modifications that have been done to the maps validate this. Once again, its not a bad thing...I am just pointing out the obvious. 

For me personally I still prefer infantry dominated maps and the occasional nadefest. My favorites are Omaha, Stalingrad,  Guadalcanal, Battleaxe and Liberation of Caen. I especially enjoy these maps because they are well rounded with a good mix of artillery, infantry, and armored vehicles. Its like having a little something for everyone. 

I am curious...especially to the newer players who started 5 years or less....what are your favorite maps and why?

• posi, mistamontiel and Rubulator like this

#2 Rubulator

Posted 20 November 2017 - 07:18 PM

I've always liked larger maps. I call maps like Berlin, Omaha, Stali(too a lesser extent) "cats in a bag" maps. Options are pretty straight forward. Where large maps give lots of options. But I respect the love of the small maps as the action can be fierce.

​I play pretty much 90% of my time Medic so you would think I like infantry based maps... nope...

​My top 3 vanilla... Based on playing conquest and trying to get a team win.

​1. Market - Has everything. Lots of ways to approach play. So if one avenue is closed you can go another. Because of the closeness of the flags in the city area it can be very infantry intense
​2. Gazala - It was my fav when I first started. Just an incredibly vast map with so many things to do if you have 50+ of course :)
​3. Tie: Wake - Bulge... Wake can be a very action packed map. A little sea... a little land... And all the trimmings...
​           Bulge - My fav tank heavy map. I split Eng/Med kits on this one. depending upon mood and opposition...   

#3 Spare Parts

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:49 PM

Phillipines.... because I want what I can't have.

• Rubulator and Hairy Russian Dude like this

#4 bondmaster

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:08 AM

BTW, I played the Market Garden CTF map tonight and it was amazing! Kudos to whoever made it. 

Phillipines.... because I want what I can't have.

LOL.... I can't stand that map. Back in the day it was one that we didnt play too often because population dropped after 20 minutes of it.

#5 Grassy

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:18 AM

Gazala...with good players I love the 12 v 12's

• Rubulator likes this

#6 pinchythelobster

Posted 21 November 2017 - 02:51 PM

I like all the maps but if conditions are ideal, then here's my list.

1. Gazala - large enough and has everything but ships/subs. Alternate airport in case planes are camping one side. Lots of tank battles and defending bridges and sniper spots and infy battles.

2. Phillipines - same as above but I love defending the two "landing strip" flags when each team has one flag. Lot's of fun back and forth with that (swim, jeep, boats, etc.). Good boat battles too.

3. Kursk - lots of fun infy and tank battles. Very fun to be sneaky in the trees with mines and zooks

4. Coral Sea - love, love, love the air battles and AA/Def Gun fights. It might be cool to make it larger and add a couple of flags.

EDIT

5. I can't believe I forgot this -- El Al CTF Turbo Jeep

• Rubulator likes this

#7 King of the Squirrels

Posted 21 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Old maps,

Market Garden

Coral Sea

Bocage

Modded

Omaha Beach tdm, Para.  El cft Turbo Jeep.

New Maps

Invasion of Britain

Desert Fury

Grand Theft Zeppelin Para.

• Rubulator likes this

#8 Hairy Russian Dude

Posted 21 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

Philippines (before the mods). Has everything. Lots of places to hide and snipe. PT boats rule.

Bulge is a close runner up, especially with the one flag moved to the hill.

Britain is such a phenomenal map with the right mods.

• Rubulator likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com