Photo

New map pack from EA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 LeadPoison

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:07 AM

Alright, as some of you may know EA had a map making contest a while back. Well, the top five maps chosen as winners are put together as a map pack from EA.

The maps are....

Nuenen - 1st Place sent in by: bleibringer :jawdrop:

Posted ImagePosted Image
Map Description - "After the defeat in Normandy and the losses after crossing the Seine, the Germans are forced to retreat to Holland. Allies are on a mission called "Market Garden" to liberate the city of Eindhoven and get closer to the German border with the intent on finishing the war before Christmas. The Axis has moved back to the village of Nuenen near Eindhoven and this is the place where the Allies face a German ambush."

LP's thoughts- There is a reason why the guy who made Nuenen won a new "area 51" computer from EA, This map kicks major ass! The most realistic looking map in vanilla BF1942, OMG someone actually thought to put some sort of vegatation and roads in a map of a town! This map is a mirror map, just like "operation Battleaxe" so that means it is completely even and fair. I love this map!!!!!!!!!!!! I cant express that enough! BEST MAP! :cool1:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kasserine - 2nd Place sent in by: Caleb "Danish Monkey" Doughty

Posted ImagePosted Image
Map Description - "Kasserine lets players choose to play as the attacking German army, or the Defensive Allied force in the pass. The battle takes place in the deserts of Kasserine surrounding the ever famous Kasserine Pass that the Allied forces desperately tried to hold to trap the Germans in North Africa. The map is set up with two main bases on either side of a large mountain pass with the Americans starting with a weak forward line in the pass and reinforcements on the beach. The Germans start with much more power then the Americans, but they must break through the entrenched Americans at the mouth of the pass."

LP's thoughts- This map deserved the number 2 spot, Its a great looking well layed out map. Its a large map and would make a great map for a 64 player server. Good stuff. :)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Battle for Guam - 3rd Place sent in by: LSCIncognito of the Lost Sleep Clan

Posted ImagePosted Image
Map Description - "While the Japanese Navy had been losing its aircraft in the Philippine Sea and the U.S. Marines and infantry divisions had been clearing Saipan Island, the U.S. had embarked upon the recapture of a 28 mile long narrow island called Guam. This important base for future operations was held by 18,500 Japanese army and navy personnel, a large proportion of whom were clustered around the airfield. With a recent massacre still fresh in U.S. minds, and the knowledge of Japanese techniques of war, the U.S. commanders took no risks. The bombardment of Guam that preceded the U.S. landing began almost three weeks before the actual invasion. On July 21, 1944, the landing went well, and U.S. forces advanced rapidly on the Orote Peninsula in the South towards the airfield and the high ground beyond. The Japanese then counterattacked and after night of ferocious battles, the Japanese troops all but overwhelmed the U.S. headquarters on the island. By morning Japanese losses were such that they could do nothing but fall back to the North. The battle for Guam was almost over. Yet it was not until a month later that the Japanese had been pushed to the sea and the battling finally came to an end. The total count of enemies killed came to over 10,000."

LP's thoughts- I didn't like this map at all! It is very rough in some spots, not any different than Wake or Philipines. Very simple map. I think this is the worst map of the pack! :(
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
St Sauveur - 4th Place sent in by: John "PacketlossPete" Buskohl

Posted ImagePosted Image
Map Description - "This is an Allies attack / Axis defend type of map similar to Battle of the Bulge. The map is based on the 82nd Airborne Division's push across the Cotentin Peninsula to cut off German support to the peninsula. The 82nd was supported after the initial D-Day landings by the 325th Glider Infantry as well as tank and artillery battalions. The divisions spent the next 9 days fighting across the French farmland reaching St. Sauveur-le-Vicomte on June 16th. Terrain plays a major factor by limiting visibility and confining skirmishes to the small fields between the hedgerows."

LP's thoughts- I really liked this map, It made me feel like I was lost in the hedgerows in France. This map is very large and would make a great map for a 40-64 player server. Very innovative. :smoke:
Battle of Hurtgen Forest - 5th Place sent in by: Robert Kozura
Posted ImagePosted Image
Map Description - "Battle of Hurtgen Forest pits the Germans against the American in the Hurtgen Forest, an area that is in Western Germany. The Germans begin with 4 points on the map and the Americans begin with just 1. The Americans must take all the points from the Germans in the allowed time or until one of the side tickets reach zero. The map is characterized by many trees that are sorround by a big montain that has a crack down the middle for which soilders have to run in between. Teamwork is essential to victory becuase of the lack of vehicles and the close quarter combat that may arrise."

LP's thoughts- The smallest of the pack, great looking with infantry combat in mind. The only vehicles are the jeep, and apc and the german equivalents. I really liked the huge bomb craters that I would get a jeep stuck in...alot better the then usual bomb "craters" that you can jump over. Good looking and great playing map! B)

The map pack is about 140 mb, You can DL it from the EA BF1942 site. Well worth the Download! ;)

#2 Enforcer

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:19 AM

Awesome review dude. I will get the map pack later tonight. I can't help but wonder if the creators of the maps were all watching Band of Brothers on HBO for ideas though.

I can't wait to play Nuenen and see what you are talking about.

#3 Enforcer

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:20 AM

Kasserine may also be good. A constant squirmish line going back and forth..

#4 LeadPoison

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:27 AM

Enforcer, I was thinking the same thing about Band of Brothers. :lol: You will be amazed at Nuenen, and I don't get very excited about map design but this one blew me away. If there is one map that would be a perfect alternate for a certain 36 player server it would be Nuenen. JMHO. Kasserine reminded me of modern day Afghanistan, would make a Great DC map as well as a great Vanilla BF1942 map.

#5 Enforcer

Posted 02 April 2004 - 08:55 AM

Crap, I forgot all about these maps last night. Must do it tonight..damn.

#6 Yea Ok

Posted 06 April 2004 - 01:09 AM

i download'd the pack ., installed it . but cant find the maps ne where ???
ne help , appreciate it .

#7 LeadPoison

Posted 06 April 2004 - 07:57 AM

Do you mean a server that plays these maps? Well Ea already has one up that just plays these 5, there are others starting to cycle them, I think the HPSF server is playing 'Nuenen'. Try doing a search with ASE.

#8 LeadPoison

Posted 18 April 2004 - 05:01 PM

Enforcer, you DL it yet? I wonder if we could seperate it and pass out the "neunen" map?

#9 Enforcer

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:54 AM

That would be beyone my computer expertise, other than trying it one night on the server. But that would mean shutting down Omaha. Not sure if many people have the new map.

#10 kaiserD

Posted 19 April 2004 - 04:05 PM

i do... :D

i havent played it though, but the maps in the pack looked cool. maybe after a fest or something, a little break from omaha sometime.

#11 redbreaker

Posted 19 April 2004 - 06:10 PM

i would love to have a reg night and play these five. I just LOVE Battle of Hurtgen Forest its awsome!!!!

#12 LeadPoison

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:50 AM

Red, what did you think of the other maps? I like 'nuenen' and 'st. Sauveur' the best but they are all better than most vanilla bf1942 maps cept for guam.

#13 LeadPoison

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:54 AM

Ya know I don't see why I can't just pass out the individual .rfa files for the maps...

#14 Lin

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:01 AM

Better yet...let's upload em and make them available to all! Hell, we have a Links page...why not?

#15 LeadPoison

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:05 AM

And lin comes up with a winning idea!

#16 Boondock Saint

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:10 AM

datgirl z sofaking nqwedible!!!!...... :blink:

#17 LeadPoison

Posted 20 April 2004 - 08:33 PM

And by "let's" do you mean me?

#18 Lin

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:37 PM

I'll create a new FTP for maps...all new maps...and you load 'em up. Let me know in email or forum (email probably better in case my cookies screw up) and I'll make links for them on the web site Links page.

Shadow, this includes yours, too...

The other problem is when/where to play them. We'll have to discuss this in the core group and we'll let you know what options are available. I know this is the wrong thread, but I do like the idea of having other maps available on a limited basis (Reg night, Map night, whatever). Keeps things fresh...but we have to remember Omaha is what keeps us going, which is why Core needs to come up with some ideas first.

#19 Boondock Saint

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

datgirl z sofaking nqwedible!!!!...... :-D

#20 LeadPoison

Posted 21 April 2004 - 08:54 AM

I was just judging if there would be in interest in a "map night". Not setting policy.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com