Photo

DOD:S FF on Mini- Tourney

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Thumper

Posted 01 February 2012 - 08:57 AM

In Teamspeak I have recently been discussing the idea of playing DOD:S with FF (Friendly Fire on), I understand that this is a fun server and the idea won’t appeal to the masses but I wanted to throw this up in the forum and see if there is enough interest to possibly schedule a Mini-Tourney of at least 5 on 5. So as not to interrupt the standard “Mostly Stock Maps” server it has been suggested that the “Stomping Grounds” server may be better suited for this purpose.
My Rules suggestions:
1) Stock maps only (I don’t think many customs are on the “Stomping Grounds Server)
2) Best 2 of 3 (if there is no winner in a game, the winner is the team with the most caps at the end of the round)
3) FF On (Obviously)
4) Team Talk On, for strategic reasons
5) Games are scheduled once we reach at least 10 players
6) Teams are randomly picked and must be maintained through the three rounds
7) Once all participants enter the server the server should be locked to avoid others from entering ( I don’t know if this is possible)

So what do you guys & gals think? Suggestions on how to run this smoothly are welcome.

#2 Kerfuffle

Posted 02 February 2012 - 02:50 PM

In Teamspeak I have recently been discussing the idea of playing DOD:S with FF (Friendly Fire on), I understand that this is a fun server and the idea won't appeal to the masses but I wanted to throw this up in the forum and see if there is enough interest to possibly schedule a Mini-Tourney of at least 5 on 5. So as not to interrupt the standard "Mostly Stock Maps" server it has been suggested that the "Stomping Grounds" server may be better suited for this purpose.
My Rules suggestions:
1) Stock maps only (I don't think many customs are on the "Stomping Grounds Server)
2) Best 2 of 3 (if there is no winner in a game, the winner is the team with the most caps at the end of the round)
3) FF On (Obviously)
4) Team Talk On, for strategic reasons
5) Games are scheduled once we reach at least 10 players
6) Teams are randomly picked and must be maintained through the three rounds
7) Once all participants enter the server the server should be locked to avoid others from entering ( I don't know if this is possible)

So what do you guys & gals think? Suggestions on how to run this smoothly are welcome.

Should there be a set series of stock maps?

Should there be a custom nighttime map?

Should it be most points (flag control over time) over most caps?

Are you trying to seed this contest or make an appointment among ten players?

If seeding, then are you saying that below 5v5 the above rules or are you saying that the
do not apply, but once the tenth player comes in, then the rules apply?

What happens when a player wants to leave?

What happens if random picking yields an obviously stacked deck? Can the players ask for another cut?

Will points be awarded for stealing your bunny slippers?

#3 Thumper

Posted 02 February 2012 - 05:53 PM

Should there be a set series of stock maps?
I have to find out what is available on that server, my understanding is it doesn't have the same selection as the "Mostly Stock Maps" Server

Should there be a custom nighttime map?
See above, but I think a night time map would be cool

Should it be most points (flag control over time) over most caps?
We would play the game as normal, first team to get all flags in a round wins. In the event of the time running out, the winner of the round is the team that has the most captured flags at that time (there may be a debate about this one)

Are you trying to seed this contest or make an appointment among ten players?
I would like to have players that are interested "sign up", a deadline will be issued with a play date, players can sign up until the deadline, if we have less then 10 players, an extension may be issued to encourage more players, if we still have less than 10 players at the end of the extension and if all players agree we can either cancel the idea due to lack of interest or continue to play with what players we have.

If seeding, then are you saying that below 5v5 the above rules or are you saying that the
do not apply, but once the tenth player comes in, then the rules apply?

Sorry I don't fully understand "Seeding", the rules would apply regardless of how many players are participating?

What happens when a player wants to leave?
Hmmm. I shoot them in the foot them shovel them..... I think everyone is reasonable and understands that life responsibilities come first, however I would ask that all players consider this a commitment out of respect for the other players, if you think that there is a chance that will not be able to participate, then try to sign up the next time around.

What happens if random picking yields an obviously stacked deck? Can the players ask for another cut?
This is a very good point! I have thought about this after suggesting the mini tourney, perhaps we will need to revisit this, possibly need to take everyone's KDR's into consideration

Will points be awarded for stealing your bunny slippers?
I am one very alert Rabbit, stealing my bunny slippers may prove too difficult for most players, but just in case, I will be keeping a booby-trapped 'nade in one of them.

#4 spareclip

Posted 02 February 2012 - 11:22 PM

I really like this idea, and yes server can be locked,and a pre-discussed password be used, however this as you know would prevent others from joining without it, and as per Kefuffles question what if someone must scoot early. What I suggest is starting a sign up thread after a time and date are sceduled, if say 15 were to sign up this would leave some room for error,and of course the more the merry anyhow. I would like for someone agreed upon a day or more before to pick teams based on knowlege to the best of there ability to pick teams for skill balance purposes(of course due to no shows this wouldnt be perfect but its a start, and of course adjustments as necessary before the show begins could be made, also team leaders should be designated before hand for team v.s. team coordination and communication should the need arise. I like the idea of best outta 3 so the potential of course could stop it at two maps, however since this would be more of a fun tourney then the other team could play anyway :) Just some thoughts to ponder, i've played in both tourney and league play in the past and these are some standard practice ideas. On another note I think each round should be played on different maps, however I also think that each team be the same as far as axis or allies go just to make things smoother so in the sign up it should be stated by each person what team they prefer and then the team chooser could do as much as possible to accomodate.

:shoot2:

#5 Kerfuffle

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:54 AM

I really like this idea, and yes server can be locked,and a pre-discussed password be used, however this as you know would prevent others from joining without it, and as per Kefuffles question what if someone must scoot early. What I suggest is starting a sign up thread after a time and date are sceduled, if say 15 were to sign up this would leave some room for error,and of course the more the merry anyhow. I would like for someone agreed upon a day or more before to pick teams based on knowlege to the best of there ability to pick teams for skill balance purposes(of course due to no shows this wouldnt be perfect but its a start, and of course adjustments as necessary before the show begins could be made, also team leaders should be designated before hand for team v.s. team coordination and communication should the need arise. I like the idea of best outta 3 so the potential of course could stop it at two maps, however since this would be more of a fun tourney then the other team could play anyway :) Just some thoughts to ponder, i've played in both tourney and league play in the past and these are some standard practice ideas. On another note I think each round should be played on different maps, however I also think that each team be the same as far as axis or allies go just to make things smoother so in the sign up it should be stated by each person what team they prefer and then the team chooser could do as much as possible to accomodate.

I like the idea of a team coordinator, possibly with an alternate or co-coordinator.

More than ten is a good idea too.

Should each player list their order of preference for weapon use, so as to enable some sense of balance? Redshirt or me on sniper is a sight to behold.

Map selection can be critical. Some maps are sniper killing zone maps, others are more balanced. Some maps require team coordination to support the MG, others are place, fire, and forget about the MG.

BTW, who is this spareclip, and why does he hunt rabbits?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com