Photo

ok...which card should i get

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 1800allen

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:50 AM

ok i have up to 150 bucks to spend on a new video card that is BF2 compatible... which one should i get within that price(preferably one recomended by EA)

#2 adinar

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:58 PM

This has already been addressed several times recently (*sigh*) but we need to know more about your computer before recommending video cards. Do you have an AGP slot? PCI only? PCI-express (if you have a very new computer?)

In a nutshell, you're looking at either an ATi Radeon 9800Pro or Nvidia Geforce 6600GT at that price range. And with those, you may only be able to run BF2 on med settings.

#3 1800allen

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:20 PM

could u speak english please :-D , um i have no clue how to check that stuff
oh and i dont really care what setting i play the game at, as long as it runs nicely

edit: i asked my dad he says we have both...and its a 3 yr old CPU

#4 adinar

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:04 PM

You may want to go read the following thread which may answer some of your questions:

Moongamers BF1942/BF2 FAQ/Troubleshooting Thread

#5 1800allen

Posted 29 June 2005 - 07:45 PM

i skimmed through it and im just curious how that helps considering my situation and problem

EDIT: oh, could u tell me were u see the price of 150 b/c it changes from store to store

#6 Housen

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:34 PM

Click Me.

I believe thats the card he is descibing. I'm not recommending it. I'll let the pro's jump in for this.

#7 Wasabi®

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

3 year old comp... BF2.....*sigh*..... If you don't want to read it skip to the last line.

If you have a CPU over a Pentium 4 2GHz and more than 512MB of RAM, the card Housen posted is OK, I guess. But you probably won't be able to crank up those settings.

Take a look
http://www.theinquir.../?article=23973

You can pick up a used Nvidia 6600GT for just about $130-$150. I don't recommend it because your computer probably has an AGP slot and not a PCI-Express slot. Here's a bit of technical stuff that you might not understand even a shred of.

The 6600GT (codename NV43) is PCI-Express native. To make this card into an AGP version, engineers had to use an HSI chip to link the PCI-Express and AGP interfaces. This chip becomes extremely hot when the card is in use, and the heat causes the card to become unstable. This is why AGP 6600GTs have many problems. On the other hand, the 6800 series (NV40) are AGP native, so they don't have this heat problem.

At resolutions up to 1280x1024, the 9800 Pro (or XT) performs equally with the 6600GT. If you're going AGP I would highly recommend a 6800 but since you have a budget you should go for the 9800.

Summary: Get the 9800.

#8 Lin

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

Say Thank You, Allen...

#9 1800allen

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:20 AM

:blink: thank you...im a little bit confused after wasabi's last post but that might be b/c its 5min after i woke up but um from what i got it due to the specs of my CPU wasabi recomends the 9800 correct?

#10 Wasabi®

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:26 AM

:blink: thank you...im a little bit confused after wasabi's last post but that might be b/c its 5min after i woke up but um from what i got it due to the specs of my CPU wasabi recomends the 9800 correct?

Actually, I'm recommending it given your computer's expansion slot (AGP), and your budget. Other options in the same price/performance range include the Nvidia 5900 or 6600. I'd say the best bang for your buck would be the 9800, in fact many people on Moon use this card, I think. And also it runs pretty quiet and was dubbed the best videocard many times. Now that its price has come down it's a good buy.

#11 Limpnoodle

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:10 AM

Always remember the MINIMUMS set be EA for BF2:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 or greater
ATI Radeon 8500 or greater

With these cards BF2 can be run, it just depends on what you want it to look like.

-Limp

#12 1800allen

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:30 PM

i do not really care what setting its at, i play bf1942 with everything on low and with shadows on and i still enjoy it so as long as i can play it ill be happy and seeing ur recomendations(wasabi) the cards are expensive, were r u getting ur prices from

#13 Soldaten

Posted 30 June 2005 - 06:00 PM

Allen;

I already posted this but to find out what your specs are do this:

Click START from the lower left of your screen
Click RUN.. type in dxdiag when the prompt comes up.

rest should be obvious.

btw, I also agree with the earlier posts. Go with the AGP card given what you have told us.

#14 1800allen

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:06 PM

so would u get a better idea of what card i should get if u had CPU specs? if so which ones do u need?

#15 Lin

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

Allen;

I already posted this but to find out what your specs are do this:

Click START from the lower left of your screen
Click RUN.. type in dxdiag when the prompt comes up.

rest should be obvious.

btw, I also agree with the earlier posts. Go with the AGP card given what you have told us.

hello?

#16 1800allen

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:19 PM

ok let me rephrase what I said, what do u need to know spacificly

#17 Wasabi®

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:19 PM

Your specs.

[CPU]
[Memory]
[Videocard]

#18 Soldaten

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:47 AM

As the other moonies have put it.. THE SPECS !!!

dxdiag will tell you every single important spec you need to know about upgrading your video card.

There is not one single thing that impacts your system. There are a multitude of things. Since your obviously young and technically challeged here is a BRIEF overview.

dxdiag will tell you..

1. Your CPU speed, model, make, & manufacturer.
2. Your video card make, model, manufacture, etc..
3. How much ram you have (system and video)
4. Your operating system and its revision
5. Your sound card and its drivers.

and other stuff !

before posting here, try actually running dxdiag and see what information it gives you.

btw, simply upgrading your video card will not improve your gaming experience by leaps and bounds.

-S

Youth is wasted on the young

#19 1800allen

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:25 AM

ok, im sorry if this sounds a little rude but i do not like being looked down to, im not technecly challenged but im not exactly at wasabis level

Price range: $$-150
System Manufactuer: Gateway
System Model: E-4600
BIOS:Default System BIOS
Processer: Intel Pentium 4 1800MHz
Memory: 640mb RAM
Video card: NVIDIA GeForce MX 100/200

is that everything? once again its early in the morning for me so i might have missed somthing

#20 Wasabi®

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:51 AM

I will have to say I have a lot of experience in this stuff :lol:

CPU: Enough for low or maybe mid settings
RAM: OK
Videocard: replace it.

Given the mobo (which has an AGP slot) and your budget $150, it doesn't look like you can get past the 9800 (Actually I believe the X series of Radeon are ALL PCI-Express meaning you haven't a hope), or the 6600GT (Barely.) As I said, the AGP 6600GT has problems, so get the 9800. Simply put, it's the best for your budget/specs.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com