Photo

Is Midway map too sea oriented for rotation now?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Renlist

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:29 AM

I mean, Midway isn't what it was, with today's participants.  It was cool in it's time.  However, I find the map uneventful and not producing any urgency.   It's so much a sea and land map, that it's hard to get any cohesive gameplay going.  By that, I mean I can spend the whole map in a sub or a destroyer or a PT boat.  

I prefer Guadalcanal over Midway, these days.   Midway had it's time when the servers were 64/64.  

Packed Midway gameplay was cool as a land lubbers, sea lubbers or pilots.   Now it's just TOO BIG. Take a ship or PT boat or plane...or whatever you like and the map ends up a 45 minute BORE.  It ain't happening with me.  Midway was cool in it's time.  Not so much now.

The new modifications?  Meh.

Guadalcanal back in...Midway out.

Guadalcanal isn't perfect either, but has more going for it than Midway.  Even Guadalcanal  tends to be brutal if you get too many leet pilots on one side. Every vehicle gets wiped out, over and over again.

#2 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:27 AM

Apparently you haven't REALLY played the new Midway.

#3 King of the Squirrels

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

I like the new midway. :coo:

#4 Spare Parts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

I mean, Midway isn't what it was, with today's participants.  It was cool in it's time.  However, I find the map uneventful and not producing any urgency.   It's so much a sea and land map, that it's hard to get any cohesive gameplay going.  By that, I mean I can spend the whole map in a sub or a destroyer or a PT boat.  

I prefer Guadalcanal over Midway, these days.   Midway had it's time when the servers were 64/64.  

Packed Midway gameplay was cool as a land lubbers, sea lubbers or pilots.   Now it's just TOO BIG. Take a ship or PT boat or plane...or whatever you like and the map ends up a 45 minute BORE.  It ain't happening with me.  Midway was cool in it's time.  Not so much now.

The new modifications?  Meh.

Guadalcanal back in...Midway out.

Guadalcanal isn't perfect either, but has more going for it than Midway.  Even Guadalcanal  tends to be brutal if you get too many leet pilots on one side. Every vehicle gets wiped out, over and over again.

The mods allow for the enemy to have direct access to the land.  The parachute drop actually makes it so a part of the island, that never was never set foot on, is now used and fighting on the land has increased 10 fold.  There are no subs, there is a bomber to help take out the bigger ships......  there is actually quite a few changes that have made the new Midway very well received.  Received well by anyone who has actually played it.  If you want Guadalcanal back just ask, don't make up nonsense about maps that you haven't  played.

So I guess the answer to your title question is NO.

• Twilight likes this

#5 Spare Parts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

I chuckle when people complain that Midway is too ocean heavy.

if it helps, imagine your destroyer is a tie fighter, the ocean is space and the island of Midway is the Deathstar.  Now, how long before you complain that The Battle of the Deathstar, has too much space?

• King of the Squirrels and Grassy like this

#6 Colonel Tavington

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

I miss the subs, now you can't pretend to be Robert Mitchum depth-charging Curt Jergens.  But you can roleplay as McHale's Navy.

#7 Renlist

Posted 01 August 2017 - 04:01 PM

I hadn't noticed, but , no subs is good.  PT boats still?  I got so bummed by the lack of land action that I usually just board a PT boat and spend the whole map at sea.

The funny thing is...when you successfully sink a big ship on Midway map (with your PT torpedos) , that enemy ship respawns in about 15 seconds (default for this map).   Hehehe.

I'll try and not abandon Midway. It was a great map in it's day. 

In a way, I can't wait to see how Guadalcanal is modded. I tell ya, Guadalcanal is brutal with 3 leet pilots on the same team.  Every land vehicle that moves is destroyed within 60 seconds during matches like those.

Maybe reduce the number of planes or their spawn times or something?

#8 pinchythelobster

Posted 02 August 2017 - 12:44 AM

Turbo 🚙 solves that problem. ---^
  • Jubilee likes this

#9 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:13 AM

I hadn't noticed, but , no subs is good.  PT boats still?  I got so bummed by the lack of land action that I usually just board a PT boat and spend the whole map at sea.

The funny thing is...when you successfully sink a big ship on Midway map (with your PT torpedos) , that enemy ship respawns in about 15 seconds (default for this map).   Hehehe.

I'll try and not abandon Midway. It was a great map in it's day. 

In a way, I can't wait to see how Guadalcanal is modded. I tell ya, Guadalcanal is brutal with 3 leet pilots on the same team.  Every land vehicle that moves is destroyed within 60 seconds during matches like those.

Maybe reduce the number of planes or their spawn times or something?

Don't skip Midway, as someone else had noted the infantry/land battle has greatly changed for the good. Guadal is/has been worked on lately,it should come out with the next round of new maps ;)

#10 posi

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:08 AM

Innovative modding on midway.  Kursk is one that I would like to see modded going forward.  I've had pilots make it a point to show me.. 'it will not pass'  on kursk CTF and it hasn't made the map list or independent run in CQ or CTF modes in quite some time.    

One of players noted the lack of AA on Salerno to me,  I agreed, and would be in favor of adding them on every map and bringing back the one on Market, noting that skill across the board has risen in planes due to life of the game.   I'd like to see them sprinkled like salt.   

#11 mexican eskimo

Posted 03 August 2017 - 09:11 PM

I haven't played it yet, but if Renlist is complaining about it, then it must be good.

• posi, Jubilee, Angerfist and 3 others like this

#12 Renlist

Posted 05 August 2017 - 02:15 AM

Will Sunday Expansion maps escape the fiddling as with every BF1942 map now?  

#13 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:11 AM

Will Sunday Expansion maps escape the fiddling as with every BF1942 map now?  

The fiddling is done to make maps run better, more even or make them more fun.

#14 Spare Parts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:22 AM

Fiddling is fun.

• King of the Squirrels likes this

#15 pinchythelobster

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:11 AM

Wow ---^

#16 Rubulator

Posted 05 August 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hey diddle diddle,
The modders like to Fiddle,
And this sends Renlist to the Moon,
The little SP laugh'd to see such Craft
And watch out for miller he likes to Spoon...

• Captain John H. Miller likes this

#17 King of the Squirrels

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:33 PM

Awesome! :coo:

#18 Moving Target

Posted 05 August 2017 - 10:51 PM

Played Midway today. I liked it.

#19 pinchythelobster

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:30 PM

I keep missing Midway in the rotation. What days is it available? That map is the costco of BF1942 since it has everything!!

#20 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 08 August 2017 - 02:41 PM

I keep missing Midway in the rotation. What days is it available? That map is the costco of BF1942 since it has everything!!

It's not in this week, if you see an admin you can always ask to run it ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com