Photo

dod_flash_maz

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Maz

Posted 09 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

Hi, I posted in the custom maps sticky, but not sure if anyone saw it, so I apologize if people did and just did not care.

I created a map, it uses a lot of the flash assets, but has a very new layout. I have only been able to play it with 4 people, so I was hoping I could get you guys to put it on the server to test out with more people on custom map night.

dod_flash_maz_b1

It is a medium sized map, It has some back passage ways, I am not sure if it needs more. I tried to obstruct a lot of the views so you could see people but hard to hit them from distance. This is to add some tension and make it so mg's and snipers are only useful if they are very good at what they do.
Could use some play testing since I have not been able to test it with more than 4 people.

#2 Comet

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:15 AM

Thank you for taking the time to create a map and offer it to the community Maz. I love flash so I'm sure a variation there of would play out well. I'm going to d/l and install to my library, will check it out when time permits.

I understand it is now on the map list...woot!

Thanks again Maz.

#3 duff

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:36 AM

nice :)

thx maz :applaud:

#4 dj_spleen

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

very cool....thank you.

#5 Comet

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

In game screenshot added to your map in the d/l section, documentation to follow...

#6 Maz

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks a lot.

I appreciate any and all comments.

It was great just to play it with others, as I haven't been able to play it with more than 4 people before.
While it uses a lot of buildings from flash, the layout is very different from flash. I chose the name as I didn't want to take full credit for the map as I did shameless steal the buildings with some modifications.

There currently is just one main path, with only small side paths that might not take you far enough. So the middle is still a big choke point.
So I have started to rework it a little to have a back way to the middle flag, and also a new "field" from the house near each sides #2 Flag. Not sure if it makes it too big and if I should put a flag back there also. I will probably post some screenshots in a day or to for some feedback.

#7 Redshirt

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:42 PM

Cool Maz! I look forward to trying it out......of course I do have one question....How Bazooka friendly is it? :D

#8 Kerfuffle

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks a lot.

I appreciate any and all comments.

It was great just to play it with others, as I haven't been able to play it with more than 4 people before.
While it uses a lot of buildings from flash, the layout is very different from flash. I chose the name as I didn't want to take full credit for the map as I did shameless steal the buildings with some modifications.

There currently is just one main path, with only small side paths that might not take you far enough. So the middle is still a big choke point.
So I have started to rework it a little to have a back way to the middle flag, and also a new "field" from the house near each sides #2 Flag. Not sure if it makes it too big and if I should put a flag back there also. I will probably post some screenshots in a day or to for some feedback.

Maz enjoyed playing it with you and others.

Seriously, I would reconsider calling it "Flash_Maz", The use of Dod:S vanilla models (including buildings) and vanilla textures is done by practically all custom mappers.

Why not call it the Village of Maz or something new? This map will have its own play when it is done, different from Flash, so why confuse players?

More power to you,

#9 Maz

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

I like the name village, a quick search turned up no results specific to dod_village

Redshirt - Bullet Bob was using a rocket soldier pretty good when we played, so there should be ample opportunity for you.

Here are two overview screenshots of the new additional pathways.

This one shows a field behind the hotel. You get to it from the houses on the corners.
I am tempted to put a flag in the middle. There is no view from the hotel (no windows that are open), you can easily nade it from other the walls from the main road
Posted Image

This one shows the pathway through buildings to the current middle flag. This gives a true alternate route that can get you mostly to the other sides base with little worry for snipers or mg's
Posted Image

This last image just shows the overall new paths that are protected from the main pathway of the map. Basically the new places I added.
Posted Image

If I keep the field I believe I should put another flag there (2 person). I am not sold that it needs both paths, as it might make it too big of a map. I think the more useful one is having the path through houses as it adds a different dimension / type of fighting.
Let me know your comments. I am still testing to make sure I find any bugs / exploits but I hope to have something packages up this weekend.

#10 Kerfuffle

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

I like the name village, a quick search turned up no results specific to dod_village

Redshirt - Bullet Bob was using a rocket soldier pretty good when we played, so there should be ample opportunity for you.

Here are two overview screenshots of the new additional pathways.

This one shows a field behind the hotel. You get to it from the houses on the corners.
I am tempted to put a flag in the middle. There is no view from the hotel (no windows that are open), you can easily nade it from other the walls from the main road

This one shows the pathway through buildings to the current middle flag. This gives a true alternate route that can get you mostly to the other sides base with little worry for snipers or mg's

This last image just shows the overall new paths that are protected from the main pathway of the map. Basically the new places I added.

If I keep the field I believe I should put another flag there (2 person). I am not sold that it needs both paths, as it might make it too big of a map. I think the more useful one is having the path through houses as it adds a different dimension / type of fighting.
Let me know your comments. I am still testing to make sure I find any bugs / exploits but I hope to have something packages up this weekend.

Personally, I favor the indirect approach, so I would make all of these changes. (Just ask Redshirt!)

Maz, I guess it really gets down to what your goal is for this map and your design philosophy. If you want to force a direct assault, then do not change it. Keep the map linear. Force a head-on assault.

As a designer, you have the option either to create fields with open fields of fire and no cover or to allow for manuever, flanking, and cover.

You can always create Village_of_Maz map and Village_of_Maz_extended map! MGers will play both and give you feedback on which one they prefer. Donner is a great map, except when you have four players. That is when Don excels!

#11 Maz

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

From a personal design preference I like the direct, but obstructed type. I want people to be able to know general area of enemy because they see them run through cover, but don't really have a shot to kill. Not where you can easily sneak up behind someone because it is one giant maze with way too many pathways. (or like cdc_Rats, nothing against that map, it just isn't my style to create)
The goal with this map is to be able to allow teams to advance, but have a back pathway that people can sneak around to avoid being pinned. From the playtest, I think that failed for the middle of the map. It became too much of a stale mate in the middle. I want some more back and fourth with a team being having to decide if they want to push, or be worried about over extending.

I have searched and tried a few methods with maps to open / close portions of the map based up the player count, but I have failed to find a way to get that to work.
It would be great to only have 1 path if it was 4 people, but open up more based upon the number of people in the map.

I think I will leave field in for now and see how it plays. I think it fits into the map, I am just not sure if it would require too many players.

#12 Kerfuffle

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

From a personal design preference I like the direct, but obstructed type. I want people to be able to know general area of enemy because they see them run through cover, but don't really have a shot to kill. Not where you can easily sneak up behind someone because it is one giant maze with way too many pathways. (or like cdc_Rats, nothing against that map, it just isn't my style to create)
The goal with this map is to be able to allow teams to advance, but have a back pathway that people can sneak around to avoid being pinned. From the playtest, I think that failed for the middle of the map. It became too much of a stale mate in the middle. I want some more back and fourth with a team being having to decide if they want to push, or be worried about over extending.

I have searched and tried a few methods with maps to open / close portions of the map based up the player count, but I have failed to find a way to get that to work.
It would be great to only have 1 path if it was 4 people, but open up more based upon the number of people in the map.

I think I will leave field in for now and see how it plays. I think it fits into the map, I am just not sure if it would require too many players.

How about a tunnel in the field? Redshirt likes tunnels, highly zook friendly.

#13 WTBass

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

Nice... I need to get steam on this box and try this out!

Why not compile 2 maps...one Flash_Maz (linear) and "Village..." with the alternate paths!

Kudos Maz!

:)

#14 smegga

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

We played this map last night with about 15 players and it went Very well, we asked if the players enjoyed it and we ended with extending the time another 15 mins playing. just one small point, there is a window that the allied sniper can fire from but then the axis cannot hit him/her. from inside the building the window is gone, but from the outside the window still has the shutters on and bullets cannot get through. if you have a good allied sniper ie.trigger girl, whitewolf, etc, the axis has no chance of getting passed.if the building is covered by the mg it almost impossible to get at the sniper.we found that once the middle flag was captured by the allied the axis found it impossible to retake it even when we had two extra players on axis, we managed to retake the second axis flag but that was it. over all i enjoyed the map so did all the players.

#15 Redshirt

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:41 AM

Yep we did a run with it last night, and I liked it a lot! The appeared to be no issues, though I would agree with smegga about the sniper windows....but I hate those pesky snipers anywhooo. The "do you like this map vote" was 92% favorable, so I think this is a winner! I'll certainly be putting it up for frequent votes.

#16 Redshirt

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Of course Kerf makes me sound like some sort of Moleman, scurrying my way thru the underworld, ambushing wary travelers with bazookas......hmmm sounds about right!

Attached File  Underminer___Incredibles_by_NikiVandermosten.jpg   310.4KB   3 downloads

#17 Kerfuffle

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:02 AM

Of course Kerf makes me sound like some sort of Moleman, scurrying my way thru the underworld, ambushing wary travelers with bazookas......hmmm sounds about right!

Attached File  Underminer___Incredibles_by_NikiVandermosten.jpg   310.4KB   3 downloads

Redshirt, zook ambush? Just like the bear in the woods.

I was in awe of his shooting out of one house and into another to stop Allied flanking on the number two Axis flag. Dr. Infecto AOF was completely meatlaunched.

#18 K9

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

Interesting, from looking at the maps! I look forward to checking it out (hopefully some time this week!) :)

- K9

#19 Maz

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:39 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and playing it. I was able to catch the tail end which was great.
I can't find that window which the allies can shoot from, but can't be hit? Anyone have a screen shot? Or a frame of reference?
I am wrapping up a new version with the 2 new path ways (Redshirt, there is a pathway while somewhat short is confined spaces that should give you some zooking, or at least you can think you are a moleman)

I need to fix that exploit in the window (once I find it). Then wrap it up with a map overview.
The added pathways should help provide better flow if one team is locked down.

#20 smegga

Posted 20 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

i will try to describe where the window is, as you leave the allied spawn and you see on your right a building with two archways, one has sandbags blocking one arch while you can run through the other. you can continue out the building by using the exit ahead or you can go upstairs, if you go up the stairs you pass two windows, keep going around the corner and there is a single window which you can shoot out and look down the road toward the direction of the center flag. this window is clear if you look from the inside but if you look from the outside the shutters are still in place and you cannot see the sniper at the window.

if this explanation is not clear enough, (which is more likely the case),next time i see you in game i will show you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com