Photo

Server crash issues resolved

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 10 January 2011 - 09:04 AM

As many of our regular players know, we've been plagued by server crashing issues for some time now. We believe we have finally resolved this issue, as we have now been crash-free for several days. We found several issues that contributed to this, and the Steam Christmas updates did not help as they started a whole new round of crash issues that we had to pin down.

We are currently testing plugin modules, as there was one comprehensive plugin that we found was causing the latest crashes. We use several (but not all) modules of this plugin, and we're currently testing them one at a time in order to find out which module(s) was contributing to the crash issues. The only way to test this is on a full server, so we apologize in advance if the server crashes again one evening in the future; if this happens, that module will be removed immediately, and the server will be stable again.

Thank you all for your patience as we have been working to resolve this, and for your future patience with one or perhaps two more nights of crash, until we have completely resolved the issues.

You all ROCK!!

#2 Enforcer

Posted 10 January 2011 - 10:26 AM

How did the remainder of the night go last night? Any crashes after modules were introduced? We have the prospects of becoming a major player in the Day of Defeat world, I think, if we can get this thing under control and offer a more stable server. Most of the time in game, and with the voip option, we hear frequently from players that they like what we are doing on our servers. They are adminned in the evening hours and we don't take much crap before we do something about it.

#3 Monkey

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

How did the remainder of the night go last night? Any crashes after modules were introduced? We have the prospects of becoming a major player in the Day of Defeat world, I think, if we can get this thing under control and offer a more stable server. Most of the time in game, and with the voip option, we hear frequently from players that they like what we are doing on our servers. They are adminned in the evening hours and we don't take much crap before we do something about it.

Checked my logs and no crashes since the box given back to us after the NIC replacement on Jan 7th!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who patiently stuck with us while we nailed down all these things that contributed to our issues. :grphug:

#4 Enforcer

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:12 PM

WOOT! That is great. And I was thinking as well, after say a week or so with no crashes in the form that we have seen. I think it important to announce to the community that we did finally figure it out, and it was not a moongamers thing, if indeed it was the NIC card that was crapping out. That way the community sees that we do follow up on stuff, and it is not always OUR fault things are not going right. There are many other variables in this world that we do not have control over.

Thanks Monkey and Lin for doing such a great job and keeping this on the front burner for those that play Day of Defeat. It thrills me that so many have found the game after so many years. What action...

#5 blancrou

Posted 10 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

This is awesome!!!

Excellent job!!! :applaud: :applaud:

:yourock:

#6 Comet

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

This is fantastic news, I'm elated.

Thank you Monkey and Lin for your tireless effort in resolving this the most frustrating of issues. Hopefully now we can continue to build our DoD:S server and show folks what we're truly all about.

Fucking eh!

#7 Chunks

Posted 10 January 2011 - 08:53 PM

Great Work on the server Lin and Monkey!!!

#8 Sgt.Stahlman

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:28 AM

:applaud:

#9 Wolf68k

Posted 11 January 2011 - 01:12 PM

And then the server crashed last night

#10 Lin

Posted 11 January 2011 - 02:30 PM

Once, not multiple times...and we're still testing the addons one at a time to determine which one(s) were crashing us. We know which plugin it was, it just has multiple addons in it, and this is a controlled test so the crashes should not come multiple times any more. Once we have determine which addons are stable and which aren't, we'll be good.

#11 Wolf68k

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:49 AM

Another thought might be a clash between 2 or more addons.
Each addon by itself might be ok, but combine addon-X with addon-Y and it crashes

#12 Enforcer

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:59 AM

True that, Wolf, however, if one app clashes it with another app we have found to work, the last one added would be the one I would remove. Especially if we have three or so apps running, and then the fourth conflicts..remove the last one to keep the three we already have installed.

#13 Lin

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:29 PM

What Foze said... I had the same thought, so I have been adding what we feel are the more important addons to have; that way, removing the last one due to crash issues is an easier decision.

We did replace the one causing the issues with another plugin we found and the rest of the night went well. I'll add another one in a few minutes and start seeding DoD.

#14 Wolf68k

Posted 13 January 2011 - 04:07 PM

Not trying to start a argument or anything but what I meant was this.
If you run A, B and C separately and they run fine. But if you combine A and B then add C and it crashes, that's bad and obviously it would see seem that C is the bad one. I've had cases where I run A and C together and it's fine and then run B and C and it's fine but for some reason all 3 and crash.
That's what I really trying to get at.

#15 SabaHell

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:29 PM

Wolf is just a stick in the mud. I'm more than greatful that i get to pwn for more than 10 minutes at a time. :D

#16 Enforcer

Posted 19 January 2011 - 11:43 AM

Wolf, that was just way over my head... :wasnt-me: but, yea I get the gist of it, problem is..how does one know what is causing the crashing..A, B, or C, or what combination of those. So, I still think that by dropping the last one that was added, and going to where you know you were stable, is the best course of action. And I think we are just about there..

Saba..I think from now on, you should just use a pistol..

#17 SabaHell

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

I own with that as well. :D

#18 Foggy Bottom

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:49 PM

FYI...Server crashed twice today while I was on:

1) 17:18 cst Argentan approx 12-16 players.
2) 18:43 cst Donner approx 28-30 players.

Foggy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com