Photo

TAKING THE FUN OUT OF THE GAME

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
77 replies to this topic

#61 Steve2112

Posted 31 March 2016 - 01:50 PM

Steve, in the same way that you talk about certain players being easier for you to kill and you being able to react quicker than they do, you are probably easy to kill for others as well and aren't able to react as quickly as some. I know for a fact if I'm a medic and I'm storming into a bunker it takes literally about 3 seconds for me to clear it all out. If its a bunker like on Omaha hilltops, I can check both the left and right rooms upon entry and the main rooms in a matter of a few seconds. And it only takes me half a second to point,shoot,and kill someone in there. If your game lags badly like you are talking about, its probably an isolated issue that is on your/your isps end/your route to the server.

Hi Greg...yes that is EXACTLY what I am saying. Just as I think people kill me more easily...so too do I kill others a bit easier, abeit a bit more rarely  :lol2:  

I've also stated these can be localized issues...either in my PC, external hardware, ISP lines...which around these parts gets shared by an urban sprawl and ALL the ISP's. 

When I first started 5 or 6 years ago....I didn't notice these kinds of things. Then as I got better I noticed and I'd admittedly get confused, upset and even, shamefully, angry. It CAN take the fun out of it. Of late, and after making Lin absolutely livid to the point she may never change her mind about me...I'm learning to be challenged by it or sometimes just log out and get a snack.  :afro:

Some of us players could use a few more folks like you...if you can spare some patience and understanding about the issues we face. We enjoy the game and want to get better. Sometimes advice CAN be hard to come by in the heat of battle. It can get a little snarky on both sides sometimes. Luckily there's a few willing to help out a bit. 

I've been having a lot more fun with the folks lately, and I hope Jubes and Lin can forgive previous transgressions.  :angel:

#62 Lin

Posted 31 March 2016 - 04:42 PM

Kindly don't project feelings onto me. I don't get livid. I DO get absolutely annoyed and you have improved, which is why I sometimes choose to bite my tongue red.

I'm old, and I choose not to fill my head with unimportant crap, therefore I forget things that really don't matter for long term storage. Some ex Sr Admins may even tell you that I don't hold grudges. I told one he would never never ever never ever become an admin here. He turned out to be one of our really good Seniors after he had a chance to grow up and mature.

• -=TheTroopeR=- likes this

#63 Steve2112

Posted 31 March 2016 - 06:18 PM

Hi Lin...I am sorry you feel I am "projecting". I don't think that's the case, you've judged me as a person based on this game. However, I am not gonna hijack this great thread anymore than I already have. I hope to leave it at that and move forward.

I thank you and appreciate all you've done for gamers all over the world. Moon is awesome you should be proud and protective of it.

#64 beerby

Posted 08 April 2016 - 03:41 PM

THIS IS NOT WAR.  THIS IS AN ARCADE GAME, MEANT TO BE FUN.  Don't bring that realism BS into an arcade shooter game.

When this happens I would encourage you to find alternate ways of getting to flags. I've played against both of them at the same time as well. It creates a challenge. Since controlling stacking is almost impossible with autoswitch and team(allied/axis) preferences. Embrace the challenge. There are ways to win the round even though your KDR may look aweful. Sometimes they have great air but the ground game is lacking... Find the holes... War is not fair. You will sometimes face insurmountable odds. Trying to find ways to counter those odds will make you a better player...

#65 beerby

Posted 08 April 2016 - 04:04 PM

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way.  If there was another game out there to replace bf42, this wouldn't be a problem.  If there were other servers out there to replace this one, this wouldn't be a problem.  As it stands, though, Moongamers is it.  There is one other halfway decent server in the world, in Slovenia or something, but it's not as good as Moongamers.  So you see why some of us are passionate about this; bf42 has been the favorite way to game for many of us for 14 years now.  My clan had a server once, that was fairly popular for a time, and we actively explored many ways to make it both fair AND competitive.  Moongamers does not do enough on the fairness side, and you care about stupid things like language.  I'm not saying I want people throwing nasty language up nonstop, but a little saltiness here and there won't hurt anyone, and might even lead to more enjoyment.

So, yeah, it's disappointing that you guys haven't made these same leaps in logic.  Don't outright ban a lot of things, but actively encourage people to play fair, and kick them if they get too egregious with something.  I know you already do little things here and there, and some admins are better than others, but step up your game, please.  Or don't, and myself and others will continue to be disappointed with the state of gaming in our lives.  Whatever.

• Grassy and Grinch like this

#66 Angerfist

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:50 AM

Beerby (and of course all others), what would you suggest to make it more fair ?

#67 Angerfist

Posted 14 May 2016 - 01:59 AM

I wonder how much of this has to do with the smaller number of players. The better pilots more easily dominate when there's a smaller population, I would think. This is especially the case with a map like Market Garden. A couple of aces on Axis, combined with all the tanks that spawn in their main, is pure death for the other side.

Perhaps making the AA guns more powerful would help? It's a small change and doesn't privilege either side.

Two American engineers at each bridge flag using mines make the Axis tank advantage crumble fast, even with superior 109 pilots.

I can't believe that this needs to be explained in 2016.

• Harriet Tubman likes this

#68 Grassy

Posted 14 May 2016 - 03:24 AM

one of the issues I see is that we have a mix of old school players who know the strats with new players that do not have a clue, this can be frustrating at times.

In the old days we knew which servers to go to for the best teamwork and talent...however today it is sad to say that you have to take the good with the bad and bite the bullet sort of speak.

• Grinch likes this

#69 Rubulator

Posted 14 May 2016 - 04:31 AM

Every game usually depends on luck of the draw. If you have a weak team as a whole your likely to struggle... then lose... It ebbs and flows a lot of times with Auto balance. So you'll see those amazing comebacks on occasion and that makes it fun(for me anyway). But ive said it 100 times... Its war, its not fair, sometimes you just end up on a bad team... If it makes you that miserable. Log off and come back later...

PeAcE... Rub... 

• Grassy, Grinch and Eliminator like this

#70 Grinch

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

The problem is, the new players are NEVER going to learn the strats, because they are entirely being savaged by ALL the best pilots always playing on axis.

I have fun attempting to zook the planes, but this is a low percentage shot much of the time, and since NO way to defend from the pilots exist, this leaves allies with no way to attack the wespe, or have two engineers on the bridges, cause they are being hammered with multiple tank fire, wespe, encroaching infantry, and cause they have likely ZERO plane support, INCLUDING having lost ALL of the allied planes to axis, now they are getting smashed with 6 planes, tanks are bombed within 5 seconds of spawning...............

I am saying I find it extremely odd that the pilots do not want to try things which are DIFFICULT, like how about strafing the AXIS base all game long.

Nah, they would all rather band together on the easy side, so then it gets even MORE easy as the game goes along, and find satisfaction in the knowledge that only a superior zooker can MAYBE knock them out of the sky.

Sounds extremely boring too me.

#71 Grinch

Posted 15 May 2016 - 10:22 AM

im not trying to rain on anyones parade or anything, but i just dont buy the whole hardware or internet issue as being the difference in skill level. any ready built computer as of basically 10 years ago should be able to run this game at 100% without issue. and internet shouldnt be a problem these days either. ping when it comes to certain things, yes, but internet quality is not something that i think has such a great deal to do with things. i can remember almost ten years ago playing this game on a terrible laptop with a USB mouse using an armrest as a mousepad. i dont count myself to be a "top pilot" or even a "top player" but what i can say is i regularly felt as if i stood a chance against even the best when it came to match or pub play in those categories... lots of this had to do with knowing the ins and outs of the game. basically what im saying is you either "get" the game and keep progressing skill wise, or you dont. but hey, i havent loaded into this game in almost 2 years so what do i know?

I definitely get the "feeling" that some players are on better hubs, and some also know how to use internet protocols to give them an advantage that most of us do not have.

Like with anything, people do tweaks and have knowledge beyond the norm, to get any small advantage.

Sometimes , I have to work 3-5 times harder to kill a person than everyone else, despite the fact they are not moving any differently, just cannot get the shots to register, at all.
You're not gonna convince me that something like that is going to cause a huge difference. I understand that some people have a better connection, better route to the server, but in all honesty that is all so very negligible unless its between two people of nearly the exact same skill level. Yes there are certain things you can do to create advantages for yourself (lock your FPS among many other things), but these actions are so minimal and create only the slightest of slight advantages. Regs are another thing, but if one person is getting bad regs, then its pretty likely everyone on the server is as well.

Well, since you have a 50 ping and VERY nice connection to the server I can imagine how you do not *believe* that these things would make a huge difference.

It is like being an asthmatic who lived in hospitals for 10 years being told by an Olympic athlete who runs for hours that they are delusional about the amount of air they are intaking.

• gregefc likes this

#72 gregefc

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:19 AM

Whatever. Give me the same connection and setup as any given player and the skill and such will be proportional to what it already was for the most part. I played this game/others long enough and know everything about it from servers to the code. Just saying. Like if your game is hella laggy and choppy, that's one thing. It becomes unplayable of course. But if everything is running smoothly, I don't buy very many excuses.
  • Harriet Tubman likes this

#73 Harriet Tubman

Posted 17 May 2016 - 12:46 PM

Whatever. Give me the same connection and setup as any given player and the skill and such will be proportional to what it already was for the most part. I played this game/others long enough and know everything about it from servers to the code. Just saying. Like if your game is hella laggy and choppy, that's one thing. It becomes unplayable of course. But if everything is running smoothly, I don't buy very many excuses.

Good luck responding to all the nonsense posts greg. If you suck at bf1942 with the current player base and try to blame it on ping or hardware, good luck ever playing a newer game when the population is in the 10s of 1000s. I can't think of how many euros can come on moon server today and still destroy these same people while having 100+ ping.  Angerfist with over 110 ping has better movement and aim then most of you with 50 and he rarely goes infantry. Ooby playing on a tablet with no mouse is somehow better than the excuse makers.

And this isn't directed soley at Grinch but others on here. If you think that your skill level is the highest that can be achieved you are going to have a bad time with any newer game.

• Grinch likes this

#74 dodgem

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:05 PM

Bbbbut, I'm the best at this game...

#75 Slash

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:09 PM

While on the topic of having a balanced fight, I think one thing that can be looked at is the addition of spawnable APCs on certain maps. There are specific maps that always seem to be in favor of a certain team just simply by the outlay of the map, where the flags are, availability of equipment, etc. Ones that jump out to me are Bulge as Allies, Omaha as Allies, Mimeyouques as Axis, Gothic as Allies. It seems that no matter what you do, if you are on that specific team, you are gonna be in tough on these maps.

I'm not sure how easy this is done, or if this is even do-able? But I think adding a spawnable APC to those off balanced teams will help balance things better. It helps in those situations where you are getting dominated and base raped with no hope of getting and holding a flag. If someone is able to drive out a spawnable APC, park it in a good hiding spot, it could mean the difference between an entire match of base-rape and having a competitive match where there are infantry scrums for flags again.

Another map that jumps out where this could be useful is Kursk. When one team holds both flags in the middle, it always seems that the other team has no hope. If there is a spawnable APC to each team, someone can drive it up and hide it in the hills and then there will be infantry fights for flags. 

Again, I'm not sure how easy this is to do, but if it can be done, I think the discussion should be had.

• Angerfist likes this

#76 LeaD FarmeR

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Slash that sounded so good at first. Then  I  thought of how people would drive the spawn truck to the enemy uncap. main just to bsrp. That seems to be on certain peoples minds as to the alternative of being  in a game of skill and fun. Maybe a bubble of death for the spawn truck around enemy uncap. mains? Then................

• Slash likes this

#77 Slash

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Hmmm ya that's a good point. Obviously it would have to be done very carefully and specifically as to which maps it could be applied. I'm not at all talking about just throwing them in every map. It would have to be well thought out as to which maps and which sides would get it. And looking at which maps would provide the least chance of the APC being used for baserape would be one of those considerations.

For example, if a spawnable APC was added to the allies on Bulge, the only situation I see where it could be used for baserape is in the first five minutes. Usually Axis have no trouble leaving their main and capping a second flag within the first few minutes. But if someone were to get in the APC and drive it right to the Axis main and park it as soon as the map begins, it could lead to some trouble, but even then you could get around that by having the spawn point of the APC way back at the Allies main. The rest of the time the spawnable APC would be used as a supplement to hold one of the bridges or to help get flags back when allies are backed up to their main.

Just a thought anyway...

#78 Grassy

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

Some good news coming soon, stay tuned :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com