Photo

Newer Radeon Video Card Driver Issues with Battlefield 1942

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BadBadPlatypus

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:43 PM

I bought a new computer in late 2019 because it was a "deal" and it came with a video card I would not normally have purchased called a Radeon RX 5700XT, which uses the newer "Navi" drivers from AMD.  My previous computer was a home build from 2010 with an Nvidia GTX 460.  I was upset when nothing about Battlefield 1942 worked on the new system: the menus would not display properly after game load, you had white bars on top and bottom, you couldn't tell what you had selected, and once you fumbled your way into the game you were missing things like crosshairs on many weapons - it was basically unplayable.  I used this new PC for all my daily needs and kept my 2010 PC running for BF1942.  I searched and found a very few other people who had discovered the problem, but no fix.  Every now and then I searched again to see if anything had changed, with no success.  Two weeks ago my 2010 PC died...  and I found a fix today.

So for anyone with a Radeon graphics card using Navi drivers, there are many older games that are not compatible and so far AMD has not corrected the issue.

Here's the fix I found today, all credit to those who originally found or created this fix, I just got lucky finding it and it's working fantastically, so I wanted to share with MoonGamers.  I tried to include all the keywords I could think of to help others.

As of today, 9/1/2021, this is the link with all three fixes bundled into one zip file.  The mods involve dgVooDoo, ReShade (I think optional but nice), and LAA patch (probably to accomodate ReShade).  It's unclear what to do at the link, but there is a Read Me file included that explains it all and it's very easy.  I scanned these files with my local AV and also uploaded it to VirusTotal, which I would also recommend you do.

dgVoodoo + ReShade + LAA pack (UPDATED PACK) file - High-Definition Remaster mod for Battlefield 1942 - Mod DB

I probably would not buy this video card again, but if you have Radeon Navi issues then this will help you with your older games, or it has for me so far.  Do your own due diligence before trying what I did.  I was so pleased I just wanted to share with any other MoonGamers having problems.

Other links I found that discuss this issue, including a German site that your browser can probably translate.

Battlefield 1942 - please fix if possible - AMD Community

Fixes (propably) a lot of issues with RX 5700 / RX 5700 XT : Amd (reddit.com)

battlefield vietnam no crosshairs for wepons and vechicles, also cant adjust resolution. | HelloClan - The Social Gaming Network

Missing crosshair and menu problems (Page 1) / Technical Help / SiMPLE | Forum (team-simple.org)

rx 5000 series owners can you confirm that battlefield 1942 doesn't have a crosshair on rx5000 series. : Amd (reddit.com)

BF42 - BF42 Tips and Help (de.tl)

• posi likes this

#2 BadBadPlatypus

Posted 01 September 2021 - 05:52 PM

One other thing I picked up from the German link, if you use ReShade, you might need to go into your Video settings and disabled "Light Maps".  You will know if you need to do it, certain things will be glowing.  Once I turned that off, my maps look better than ever.

• posi likes this

#3 Wasabi®

Posted 01 September 2021 - 07:37 PM

Yes this is a well known issue with BF1942 and the 5000 series GPUs. 

If you were on our Discord we could have solved this for you much faster ;) 

https://discord.gg/6eQM2yQG

• posi likes this

#4 Nicole

Posted 17 August 2023 - 11:20 AM

Here is a link to my BF1942 ReShade 5.9.1 files and config.  Modern AMD, Intel, and Nvidia GPUs benefit from the ReShade DLL files.

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

The ReShade zip file below contains a modified D3D8.dll file created by someone named Dege.  The D3D8.dll is a program called dgVoodoo, that works by converting the DirectX API calls from older DirectX titles, such as BF1942, to use the newer DirectX 11 and 12 API calls.

For example, BF1942 is a DirectX 8 program, and dgVoodoo allows the user to configure the D3D8.dll file to convert the DirectX 8 API calls to DirectX 11 or 12 API calls.

ReShade is primarily used to make games look better graphically than they may by default.  The D3D8.dll dgVoodoo program may be used by itself and ReShade is not required for it to work properly.

The latest version of dgVoodoo can be found at the link below.
http://dege.freeweb....doo2/dgVoodoo2/

The latest version of ReShade can be found at the link below.
https://reshade.me/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com