Photo

Promoting bootleg / copy download sites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic

#1 Lin

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:00 PM

I'm going to be honest about how I feel about these new topics coming up.

I don't care what someone does in the privacy of their own home...but I don't believe in piracy of music, software applications, movies, whatever, and I am really not comfortable with these topics coming out in the forums. My guess is that such discussion, especially teaching others how-tos, could be potentially damaging to this community.

This forum is not a way to advertise anything illegal or share how others can illegally obtain copyrighted material...even the off topic forum should not be used in this way. If you want to advertise bootlegging, piracy, whatever, you should host that on your own web site, not here.

Just my .02...

#2 M.A.M.E. Gamer

Posted 24 March 2004 - 02:05 PM

Oops, sorry to offend, Lin. The site that I advertised only offers non-commercial recordings... things that can't be bought anywhere (except the seedy "bootleg" cd shops that we're trying to side-step).

I agree that illegal filesharing should be avoided. But I think this particular site falls within a gray area as you cannot download any albums or audio that you can buy in the stores.

You may delete the topic that I started if you wish. I just wanted to turn some people on to some good live shows.

#3 Lin

Posted 24 March 2004 - 03:54 PM

Jason, my friend, this was not directed specifically to your post, but meant more as an opinion of what I feel is not appropriate for the forum. I'll bring it up as an agenda item for the next core meeting, and we may need to set some definite guidelines for the forum in regards to this type of posting; if we do, it will be a new sticky post.

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com