Photo

Battlefield 1942 'CQ' Omaha

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 birney

Posted 21 May 2011 - 04:23 AM

The end of an era.

A few years ago when I first started to play battlefield 1942 online there was one map that I wanted to play above all others, that map was Omaha! There where quite a few battlefield servers around at that time, where people could play any map they wanted in every mode possible and every so often I got to play Omaha all be it briefly. Then I happened upon two servers under the banner of Moongamers that had Omaha listed as 24/7. One of these was called 'Omaha team death match' and the other 'Mostly CQ Omaha' I loaded in and like many, many players and members of this community I found myself a home.

Our cq Omaha server played an important part in the growth of Moongamers, but a server is nothing without players. It is these players, these people that make a server special and in CQ's case they made it a game unto itself. On its best days it had a pulse to it, a beat! On its worse days it would be your game from hell.
The enemy nade thrown into your Higgins boats while the door was still up, or even worse the 'friendly' nade that was 'accidentally' dropped onto the floor of your Higgins boat while the door was still up. Running up the beach while being blasted by def gun shells that seemed to target you and only you, and just when you thought you had escaped all of this a sniper would take you out. Fighting your way up the ramps, past the infantry, just to find a tiger tank sitting there waiting for you. Watching a jeep fly across the beach and up the long ramp in the hope that it might just make it to the top flag, just to watch it explode, the ship being sunk! but more often than not beached, axis in the beach flag radius, the enemy sniper at shank beach, zooks to the face, the impromptu shank, the planned shank, the knife fight. Not forgetting those nades!..ohh those nades. After all of that and just when you thought you had made it, just when you thought you where about to cap a flag and be the hero of the hour..you would get team killed, just to re-spawn and start again. and then the beach went quiet.

Over the past two years or so there have been a number of attempts to revive this server. Despite one or two minor success all have ultimately failed and the server sits empty. This is not anybody's fault, games get old, new games come out and players move on - ultimately this is the nature of gaming. So it is with a great deal of sadness, and some great memories that Core wishes to announce that at the end of summer 2011 we will be closing our CQ Omaha server!

To everybody who played a part in the 'story of CQ' from the Wags people who came and found a new home, to the admins who kept it trouble free, to the people who donated, and the everyday player who simply loaded in to have a few hours of fun, Core would like to thank each and every one of you.

Until the time that we do close it, we will be running Cq with a large rotation of maps with 'map vote' on. We will also run Omaha as often as possible to allow people to run the beach one last time! Come join us and lets make sure this great server goes out with a bang and not a whisper as all great games should.

#2 no guts no glory

Posted 22 May 2011 - 07:43 AM

it will be missed. rip

#3 No_Nickname

Posted 22 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

The Omaha CQ server was the first server that I ever played on after we got Broadband and I enjoyed playing on it so much that I came back the next day. I want to thank everybody especially the admins and core for providing a top notch server that made me stay for several years. Thanks again for the memories

#4 blancrou

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

Sad news, but this is life...
The nicest things alwasy end sometimes!

Thanks for all the memories I have with this server!! (way before I join MoonGamers! xD)

#5 Hammer

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:47 AM

It truly saddens me to see this happening, but at the same time I understand why it's happening. Good work to everyone who kept it alive all these years, especially admins and core, all great things come to an end eventually. Cheers

#6 RockyTop

Posted 26 May 2011 - 11:55 PM

It was fun while it lasted...I spent many more hours on that server than I care to admit however I don't regret a second. I've played on too many servers to name and as far as I'm concerned nothing ever topped MoonGamer's Mostly Omaha CQ.

RIP

#7 HARRY TRIGGER

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:05 AM

#8 WarWizard

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:01 PM

A sad day indeed, played more years on CQ than TDM, great Omaha battles, it will be missed.

#9 bobby wiggle

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:32 AM

farewell, the reason I joined up with Moongamers

#10 xdoublex

Posted 08 June 2011 - 12:16 AM

Gonna miss this server.

RIP

#11 UnDead

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Had some good times for sure, sorry to see the server empty and closing. Damn Defguns and Tanks!

#12 Dude,where is my tank?

Posted 21 August 2011 - 11:32 AM

sad to see this!

i loved to play this game ,great people great fun great servers.

#13 DAN_DALY

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Great times indeed! The CQ server was so well liked and populated because of players like yourself being able to play and enjoy the BF'42 maps of your choice.

THANK YOU!

#14 mexican eskimo

Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

yea my fav bf server, cq was always fun with you all, dd, lisa, cm, sag, etc.

#15 sagittarii

Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:15 AM

yea my fav bf server, cq was always fun with you all, dd, lisa, cm, sag, etc.

Thanks ME, it was always fun owning the beach with ya =)

#16 No_Nickname

Posted 23 August 2011 - 08:28 PM

If the server is still up on Friday, would anybody be up for a couple rounds on CQ?

#17 bogeydeadsix

Posted 02 September 2011 - 09:43 PM

I broke out an old game and thought I would relive the first days of my gaming on pc experience. I cannot even begin to count the number of hours I played on the CQ Omaha server. Bigmac, Birney, and the entire 5thMD clan would be owning everyone on the servers.

So, even though I am not involved in MoonGamers, a little piece of history died. Good bye CQ Omaha.

~~[5thMD]-Ghostrider

Edited by bogeydeadsix, 02 September 2011 - 09:45 PM.

#18 Captain John H. Miller

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:40 AM

For CQ

#19 Monkey

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:32 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

And rising form the ahses......... click this :wasnt-me:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com