Photo

Problems with New BF1942 Install

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Farting Retard

Posted 24 March 2024 - 04:24 PM

Last week I happened upon a Reddit post re: BF1942, and so I followed the link and instructions and installed the game from the link in the reddit post.

This one:

https://www.reddit.c...web2x&context=3

But after install I noticed issues.  It seemed very buggy.  Example I could not adjust video resolution at all, and so when the game would run, the text/font of the game was "crabbed" in that ugly way it gets when your resolution is wrong.  But also example when selecting combat roles like Medic, Eng, etc.... the mouse would "click" when you select, but the icon area would not highlight as expected.  Initially there was an issue "updating" to get all the servers listed, but eventually I "did something", and was able to find and join moongamers, BUT simply double-clicking the selected server did not work.  I had to "click" the server, and then toggle the "join" button in the bottom right.  I could get there, but I spent years playing the game (years ago), and this is not normal behavior. Also the selected server does not highlight, but there is a "click" noise.  You can't be certain which server you've selected when you "join" the selected server. The game also crashes for no apparent reason, mid-game.

So after a couple of days of this buggy install, I discovered that moongamers has their own method to install the game, so I revo'd the old install (using Revo) and followed moongamer's instructions.  Downloaded from the source (but there were issues with this), installed the game, add-ons and patch, and ran the game on the new install, and it's still buggy in exact same way as the 1st install.

Did some research and found a post that said you should run the .exe in "XP SP3" compatibility mode, which I did to no effect.  .exe is running as "Admin".

Computer is a newly built desktop, all with high quality hardware and PSU.  12-core AMD CPU currently running with onboard graphics for a reason that has nothing to do with the game, and I have a Radeon 6600 graphics card I could put back into the box if necessary, but I think this game should run just fine with current technologies onboard graphics, when that might not have been true 10 years ago.  I can list all the specs if necessary.

The main problem point now is that, for some reason on this 2nd install, I can't even "update" to get the list of servers anymore.  I could do that the first time, but now I can't.  Opened the firewall port at 14567, but not any of the others because I don't think they are necessary.  Could be wrong here.  Firewall port was not opened on the 1st install and I got the list of servers then, but not now even with the opened port.  No clue what the purpose of the open port is, and would like to know.

So now I'm kind of stuck and asking for help.  Reinstall the RX6600 video card?  Open all the other ports on the firewall?  Am I the only person to have these buggy, oddball symptoms?

The O/S is an (ahem) "unregistered" version of Win10, and the security features are a PITA.  It "does things" without even asking me, and so I wonder if there is any kind of software issue that something in my O/S doesn't like, is deleting, corrupting, or preventing.  Example when trying to download the game and mods from the link here on Moongamers, the URL was just ignored when I clicked it.  When I copied and manually pasted it into a new tab/window, the window decided I was doing a text search of the pasted URL, instead of simply navigating directly to it.  Eventually I got the data downloaded.  Point is that the O/S interfered with the process, so I wonder to what extent the "security" of the O/S may be interfering with the game.  Or what.  I have no clue.  Asking for help.  Thanks in advance.

PS I can post pics if anyone wants proof, evidence, etc... of the crime scene.

#2 smudge

Posted 25 March 2024 - 09:04 AM

i would uninstall again then search your pc for 1942 and delete everything. reboot and reinstall from this link https://www.moongame...showtopic=67127

#3 OWLCAT

Posted 25 March 2024 - 09:43 AM

I would recommend getting a legitimate copy of Windows. If the OS is doing things without you asking that is a red flag. 

#4 Farting Retard

Posted 26 March 2024 - 01:04 PM

i would uninstall again then search your pc for 1942 and delete everything. reboot and reinstall from this link https://www.moongame...showtopic=67127

I mostly followed this advice, and things got better.  I did not install the road to rome or super weapons mods.  I never liked those maps or mods anyways.  Could do it later.

Game plays indefinitely without crashing for no reason, and I can "update" and get the list of servers, BUT - still no aiming cursor on some weapons like the Garand, however other weapons DO have an aiming cursor (whatever the correct word is).  When selecting combat role, the area of the role still does not highlight, and I still cannot select my resolution except for "low, medium or high".  I'm about to reinstall the RX6600 video card, and I'll see if things change after that's installed.

#5 Farting Retard

Posted 26 March 2024 - 01:18 PM

Update:

re-installed and no change on ability to adjust settings.  However, during my research, etc... I notice there are files in the installation directory where the settings are listed in text form (vs. buttons you click in the game), and so I wonder if I can adjust resolution "manual" by editing the text file(s).

Does anyone know anything about this, before I go off and try to reinvent the wheel?

#6 Farting Retard

Posted 27 March 2024 - 08:29 PM

Okay so it's all fixed thanks to Wasabi and help I got from him on the Discord server.

Here's the fix:
https://www.moongame...showtopic=67419

The "lesson learned" in this case is that the problem is not just due to the AMD RX5xxx series video card.

I had the problem on my new system with both the (AMD cpu) onboard video and the Radeon RX6600 video card.

The giveaway "tell" of the problem seems to be missing combat cursors/aiming crosses (whatever the correct word is), as well

as other buggy symptoms.  When I read that was (one of) other people's problems, I was pretty certain we all have the same problem.

RTFM, follow the easy 3-step process and the problem was fixed in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks to Wasabi for giving me the tip I needed.

• Captain John H. Miller likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com