Photo

Getting a second opinion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TSO

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:13 PM

So my father has been having a slowly worse time starting his computer up. (last month or possibly two)
I guessed ahead of time since his computer can't breath well in it's corner and he likes to put it in sleep mode instead of shutdown that it's been slowly burning out some component.

Asked me to check his computer today.
Turns that not only does the monitor not register any signal, the box doesn't sound like it's even booting up. It can't do a hard shutdown anymore. (hold power button)
There is a fan running though...

I believe the hard shutdown is a motherboard chip component and since some fan is getting power that the PSU is fine just the motherboard is gone.
Would my assessment sound correct? Any ideas on how I would test it/fix it?
It's one of those store bought pre-assembled computers as bad an idea it is buying one.
I'm not sure how to figure out what type of board it's using from a passing glace.

#2 CrDraggin

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

This is typical with a motherboard problem, generally a POST issue where there is not enough power to turn the entire unit on.

The steps to see if it is a capacitor issue,

Unplug unit. Wait for 10 seconds. Plug unit back in. Or hold down power button for 15 or so seconds (sometimes longer, unplug is easier).

If unit does same thing, you could try another power supply. If still same thing, then mobo is trash.

So my father has been having a slowly worse time starting his computer up. (last month or possibly two)
I guessed ahead of time since his computer can't breath well in it's corner and he likes to put it in sleep mode instead of shutdown that it's been slowly burning out some component.

Asked me to check his computer today.
Turns that not only does the monitor not register any signal, the box doesn't sound like it's even booting up. It can't do a hard shutdown anymore. (hold power button)
There is a fan running though...

I believe the hard shutdown is a motherboard chip component and since some fan is getting power that the PSU is fine just the motherboard is gone.
Would my assessment sound correct? Any ideas on how I would test it/fix it?
It's one of those store bought pre-assembled computers as bad an idea it is buying one.
I'm not sure how to figure out what type of board it's using from a passing glace.

#3 USHA

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:20 AM

my last computer started acting like this. What I did to get the monitor back on was to hold down power button and unplug the rig, you have to keep the power button held down for 30 sec to a min after it is unpluged. The prob is this is only a temp fix. The prob was that my mother board was going out and it died soon after.

If you can get the computer running you better back up everything now because one day it will not boot up, I know first hand.

#4 TSO

Posted 08 April 2013 - 11:26 AM

Yea it's pretty well dead. He's stuck with my old laptop for now.

#5 posi

Posted 08 April 2013 - 07:32 PM

Part numbers, if you choose to go that route. Easiest way is probably by the old service tag number. Dell, Hp ect .. they all use tracking number to mark individual parts as they go in.

Of the mobo's that failed post in that matter for me. Most were fried CPU. No beep code is problematic. Now if you here a beep code, let us know. One long is usually video.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Skin Designed By Evanescence at IBSkin.com